Dust extraction despair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themack

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to connect my Parkside shopvac to my cyclone. They are both 52 mm ID, but 55 and 53 OD. I have 3d printed several parts and it just doesn't connect. Thought about a sleeve of some kind, but not sure about that. Cyclone hose diameter is 63mm

IMG_20240621_101537.jpg Here with both fittings on

IMG_20240621_101501.jpgAnd here I took the Cyclone adapter off.

Thank you for any ideas

A photo with the ends exposed would help with their respective sizes . With the corrugated hose you need to sleeve it internally. You will need to remove any burrs from the sleeve and chamfer the edges to prevent anything catching on the edges. You can then use the internal size of your vac or the external size whichever is easiest to adapt to . Try to find a common size of the parts you are trying to connect. You can easily get 50mm pipe ( o s diameter) and 63 mm o s diameter pipe . Differences can be overcome with pvc tape etc , tighten up with jubilee clips. Plumbing fittings are available for 50mm push fit and and you can also get compression type joints that can accommodate 10 or 15 mm of tolerance ..

If you are trying to connect directly to the hose, then a threaded connector can help.

If a person goes that route, it is wise to confirm that the hose is wound as a right hand thread. They are rare, but left hand wound hoses do exist. You will be unhappy if you spend time designing and printing something only to find it is the wrong hand when the time comes to assemble it.

I use FreeCad 21 to make adapters. It is easy to loft one diameter to another. However, when you "thickness" (hollow out) the part you need to specify which direction you want the thickness to go. Inside or outside. I made several wrong parts by not specifying which way to go and my the duct was 2mm too big or too small. Once you get the hang of it, no more scrap parts!

Thank you all.
I have the connector to the 63mm hose which looks like mudman's (see photo one), but it doesnt fit to the Parkside connector. I then have taken off that connector and the Parkside connector fits into the pipe loosely ( see photo 2). Ideally I'd like to connect both as per photo one. I think the silicone sleeve might work actually. I look into that. The Parkside is slightly smaller than the 63mm connector and should fit inside, but the 63 mm connector has a thicker wall hence it doesn't . 50mm waste pipe ? Does it stretch 3mm when heated?

Thank you all.
I have the connector to the 63mm hose which looks like mudman's (see photo one), but it doesnt fit to the Parkside connector. I then have taken off that connector and the Parkside connector fits into the pipe loosely ( see photo 2). Ideally I'd like to connect both as per photo one. I think the silicone sleeve might work actually. I look into that. The Parkside is slightly smaller than the 63mm connector and should fit inside, but the 63 mm connector has a thicker wall hence it doesn't . 50mm waste pipe ? Does it stretch 3mm when heated?
Yep

If a person goes that route, it is wise to confirm that the hose is wound as a right hand thread. They are rare, but left hand wound hoses do exist. You will be unhappy if you spend time designing and printing something only to find it is the wrong hand when the time comes to assemble it.
This is true but part of the design process is always going to include an element of prototyping. The cost of filament is minimal, it's the time to print that is annoying. I use a super fast profile for slicing for initial prototyping and tweaking.

Thank you all.
My design allows me to alter all the dimensions easily so I would be able to compensate for that.

50mm waste pipe ? Does it stretch 3mm when heated?

Easily, as above.

It is possible to make a tapered wooden mandrel and push the pipe onto it. You can also orbit the inside of the heated pipe with a broom handle to move the material around.

Look at socket formers for copper pipe and copy the idea using different dimensions.

You can also use something like rainwater downpipe, which is larger than you need, and cut, slit and glue a second piece so it fits inside an outer (unslit) piece. Then you can bore it out on a lathe or even gently on a drum sander.

Hi all
I have finally made it and connected them both with a heatshrunk plastic bottle ! Thanks Chubber !
Linked all up I switched on the shop vac which has 63mm hose going to the cyclone . The cyclone is a 20 l bucket and has a 63mm hose coming out to which I connected the 35mm (2m long) hoover pipe. Unfortunately the vac pulls the bucket to itself with the pipe from hoover to cyclone collapsing. So I am now back to rethinking the whole lot :cautious:

Back