Drill guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is some discussion of the blue rockler one and the orange Axminster one on the FOG (Festool Owners Group) website. Both of these seemingly made for them by the same Taiwanese manufacturer with small differences at the request of the distributors.
The Axminster version sells for £175 give or take a few pence and as the Rockler is so similar, it would be nonsense to ship that version from the USA to here and pay more than double for it.
Although the price is quite high, I was quite impressed by the Axminster one which I saw on their stand at the Materials and Finishes show a few weeks ago. It is a substantial thing. Quite big with some heft to it. Rigid enough and the chuck unit slides nicely but without excess play. I wouldn't be put off by the Axminster having a 10mm chuck. This isn't a drill press at the end of the day and if it will guide a 10mm drill bit or a much bigger auger with a max 10mm shank, I'd say that is enough to ask of something driven by a 1/4" hex.

After seeing it, it's on my wishlist. The price is a bit offputting but if they included it in a 20% off sale I'd certainly buy.

I returned this item and got a no quibble full refund as it was just not fit for purpose. The other options which would probably deliver good results are the Rockler version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockler-Drill-Guide-Chuck-Easy/dp/B0BDMX52BN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1IKZVWV7X1BHJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.sCHSGn3LJdS7y1qVmf9Xa2rA34S9pczzrVuyys3iKfRjR1WbXVn6dARzo_Fsxet_cyPJDjs09aS146Ul7bmhinUzITilA41x7oXPi4T-nec3K4LCQ33p9h1ETXQ_SXTyBULivMq6TM5VYZFA1nUgfZf1QiRkm0vV_vwt6rPyj5GOfpyQVlPtrucQ5pKlqmvGbIfxYzvIi-Yt97kahbEUVDuv6xiTHZQ6yWgFqm5cLfI.1t5ghjmagc-ebmCiEtQCLez01fp-_uJBCMZSwakyNxs&dib_tag=se&keywords=rockler+drill&qid=1718399838&s=diy&sprefix=rockler+drill,diy,63&sr=1-1

but at a whoping £427 or the Woodpeckers version at £390

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/woodpeckers-auto-line-drill-guide/

I did not purchase either of these as the cost could not be justified and the main reason I wanted one was portability, take the jig to the wood otherwise I could just use my pillar drill. For most task that require precise holes I use a router but you only get limited depth and these drill guides give way more than a router.
Thanks, any thoughts on this product from banggood please? https://www.banggood.com/freegift/E...3.html?rmmds=search-newuser&cur_warehouse=CN?

All the red looks like plastic and the rods appear to be thin and not fine finished.
That looks like a £20 to £30 tool, not a £65 tool.

I do wonder. I use a few drill sizes much more than others. Imagine a piece of steel bar, say 2" diameter cleaned up and faced in a lathe to be maybe an inch thick. Then just drill through it in the popular sizes - 3, 4, 6, 8 say using a bench drill. That block of steel pressed onto the surface of whatever and used as a bushing to hold a cordless drill square would be enough for a lot of jobs...

That block of steel pressed onto the surface of whatever and used as a bushing to hold a cordless drill square would be enough for a lot of jobs...

Look up 'Big Gator drill guide'. They also do a corresponding tapping guide, but it only works with ISO taps.

This thread was ultimately to blame for tempting me into buying a 2nd hand mag drill off ebay.
I reckoned I would need to drill perpendicular holes in metal more often than wood. But a mag drill that didn't cost a whole lot more than one of those UJK drill stands could always be plopped down on a piece of wood if need be.

20240811_170944.jpg

Of course a small dimension tube like this could just go on the drill press but wow, annular cutters make such an easy job of bigger holes in steel.
If you have a drill press with a morse taper socket, you can get adapters to let you use weldon shank / rotabroach cutters on that too.

This isn't really a solution for wood. The drill weighs a ton. It makes a heck of a noise. And 1100W at 450rpm is all about big cutters not skinny twist drills. But I'm loving it for metal :)

For me the idea looked sound but the engineering let them down, I thought it might be a quick easy way to get perpendicular holes but I have gone back to my router with a guide bush and a simple jig which does deliver precision in comparison. Using something like a mag drill or Rotabroach might work if you use a steel base that could be clamped to the wood but it is wood and what are routers for.

I shall be getting mine out of the attic soon to fit a rack and pinion security latch, as my ability to drill a hole perpendicular to the door is questionable.

Nice looking bit of kit but looks heavy hence not really portable. I could be wrong but unfortunately I don’t speak German.😳😳
There's a language toggle between German and English in the top right hand corner of the page. They don't ship to UK though, presumably too much paperwork post-Brexit.

Back