Copper clad worktops?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a kitchen for a customer and as a feature they want one of the worktops clad in copper.

There are plenty of copper look laminates available or ready made copper clad ones which are mega bucks, I'm hoping to find a middle ground.

It is an awkward shape in a corner (not square) about 600 x 1500, I was hoping I could fit a ply/MDF top and someone would come and fit the copper or alternatively I could fit and remove the ply top for them to clad loose.

I've had a company cover wooden tops with stainless steel before which worked well and hoping it's something they might do it but can't find their contact details at the moment.

Anybody else done similar or got any thoughts on it?

I'm making a kitchen for a customer and as a feature they want one of the worktops clad in copper.

There are plenty of copper look laminates available or ready made copper clad ones which are mega bucks, I'm hoping to find a middle ground.

It is an awkward shape in a corner (not square) about 600 x 1500, I was hoping I could fit a ply/MDF top and someone would come and fit the copper or alternatively I could fit and remove the ply top for them to clad loose.

I've had a company cover wooden tops with stainless steel before which worked well and hoping it's something they might do it but can't find their contact details at the moment.

Surely, unless they never use it, it will get scratched very quickly. The thing about Stainless Steel is its hardness. Copper is very soft. Anyway, who will polish it every day!!!

Phil

The plan shape is somewhat irrelevant. It is what happens at the edges and corners where the skill will be required in fitting.

How many edges are exposed? How many corners are exposed? Are the edges square to the top or is it some kind of bullnose?

In principle, you can autogenously weld copper in the same way you might weld lead, but finding someone with those skills might be difficult.

With care and a lot of annealing, you can form copper like you can with lead (model engineering people do it all the time when building copper boilers).

There is a Copper Development Association in the UK who might be worth a call. You need the equivalent of someone who puts lead on a church roof but for copper.

People who make commercial kitchen equipment (canopies, tables, sinks, etc.) are skilled in sheet metalwork with stainless steel.

As an outside shot (because what you want is indeed a form of copper cladding), perhaps enquire with someone like this:

https://www.salmonsolutions.co.uk/copper-roofing/

Edit: just found this, so the copper roofing idea is maybe not as mad as it sounds:

https://www.elcroofing.co.uk/services/kitchen-worktops-tables/

Also:

https://www.metalsheets.co.uk/copper-worktops/

Many moons ago I was a part time barman in a pub that had a copper clad bar that needed cleaning and polishing at the end of every session. I like to think of it as an education in what makes a sensible work top.

Did they also cover 'Spotty dog' in SS? :ROFLMAO: -Sorry - couldn't resist!

Copper table tops seem most often to be hammered and dimpled. I think there is probably a good reason for this.

It will probably look cool. I once did a kitchen with black walnut worktops and a hammered copper sink imported from America by the customer. With matching taps. It did look amazing.
The sink was surprizingly thick copper and had heavy hammer dents in it.

Copper table tops seem most often to be hammered and dimpled. I think there is probably a good reason for this.
Think there are two reasons, the first as I think you alluded to is to cover up all future damage, and it’s also a cheap (and nasty) way to try and reproduce the wonderful planished finish you get from hand beating silver or copper.
The other brilliant thing about Copper is that it kills germs on contact, Hospital door handles always used to be Copper, still should be really.
Ian

Unless it is a skill set you wish to acquire. or a very simple run, with no rounded corners. It might be best to buy it in.
I soon found with making kitchens that it became increasingly more expedient to buy in the worktops rather than make them myself, however much I enjoyed the challenge. After all there is plenty enough work in building and fitting to keep you occupied. :giggle:
Looking at the prices, for the copper alone you could be looking at at least £800 for the metal for a 1.8M run and twice this for a finished worktop.

I know copper isn't ideal for worktops but we are only talking about one small area, it's an awkward corner which is why they want to make a feature of it. They have put pipe work in to that corner potentially for an ice maker so I picture it will end up as a space for the lady of the house to mix up her Gin & Tonics.

Thank you for all the ideas and links etc, I shall pass it all on to the customer.

The French have been using pewter for bar and worktops for a long time so this could be an alternative. There are companies (https://halmanthompson.com) that offer copper worktops so perhaps speak to them and try and learn a bit more about the issues with copper and see what your client feels then.

I've fitted lots of copper Worktops - my own is distressed copper and looks the nuts. I've had a go at cladding an existing worktop in stainless steel sheeting and that was an education in sticking to what you know best!

I've always bought mine from the same company in Luton - v expensive but they are very good.

I've had a go at cladding an existing worktop in stainless steel sheeting and that was an education in sticking to what you know best!

I am wondering why you appear surprised at that. Copper and stainless: cheese and chalk.

Have a look on YouTube for 'hanoul workshop' to see an exceptional coppersmith.

Latest posts

Back