Cooling in a small storage room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All

Im trying to figure out the best option to cool down my small storage room (picture attached) as it contains my IT equipment. I'd appreciate it if anyone could share their thoughts and or other options I should consider.

• Options are
    • Stick insulation to the inside of the PVC doors (cheapest probably)
    • Drill out a hole in the side wall and install a vent
    • Drill out a hole and install a fan which sucks air from the outside and moves it into the room. (Not sure what this is called any links would be appreciated)
    • Drill out a hole and buy a portable aircon (most expensive I think)
Yes I do need to measure up to know the volume needed for cooling, but I thought I would post this just to get general thoughts.

Thanks

Can't see any pic so just guessing but generally speaking if the air in the room is hot you need to replace it with cooler air. Pumping more air in without a way out is not really going to work that well.

If it were me I'd look to have an IN vent at the bottom of the room and an OUT vent at the top of the room. With a fan on the out vent, either on all the time or on a thermostat.

Even with aircon you would need an out for the hot air and an in to replace the air that it is expelling. I have a portable AC unit for the house and run the pipe out of a window, the negative pressure in the house currently draws air down the chimney so I can smell the soot. I need to cover the chimney so it instead draws air via the airvent for the fireplace from outside. It is just easier for the air to come down the chimney at the moment so it takes the path of least resistance.

Your first option of insulation without any other measures will make matters worse. You are looking to remove heat generated by the equiment and insulation will only serve to keep it in.
This is something I come accross almost daily in my work life. You need to move the warm air from the room and replace it with cooler air. An extract fan in the wall (high up as heat rises) will push the warm air out of the room. You now need to consider where the 'make up' air comes from. This can either be a low level grill in the wall or around the door. You mention a PVC door which are usually well sealed so would want to provide an air path for the air to come in through or you extract fan will do very little. This system should be adequate for most cases but can only bring the room down to the surrounding ambient temperature.

Thank you all. Here is the pic attached sorry about that

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
Back