Considering dipping toe into 3d printing so what do you think of this one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well folks, thanks for all your advice and discussions now have a Bambu labs A1 on its way.
Was waiting till the recall fiasco all got sorted. Was impressed how they handled that though.
Also had to wait for A:Sale B:SWMBO toy allowance and C:Santa early delivery schedule 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good choice. I ditched my Creality printer and bought a Bambu A1 about three months ago and haven't looked back. It's been excellent.

Do read the instruction manual and Wiki before assembly and first use.

Most problems you read on the FB group are just user error;
Failure to clean the bed correctly.
Just soap and water works well, then NEVER touch the build surface and only handle it by the edges.

Not drying filament.
PLA will work straight out of the pack, but PETG & TPU really do need to be run through a drier.

Trying to out smart the slicer software.
Bambu Studio's default presets work very well. To start with you won't need to change anything other than maybe enabling supports (oddly not a default option, but the software will prompt you if it thinks they're needed)

Most problems you read on the FB group are just user error;
Failure to clean the bed correctly.
Just soap and water works well, then NEVER touch the build surface and only handle it by the edges.

Out of interest I rarely clean my bed (Bambu P1S) just make sure I only touch the bed by the edges. Just remove the bed and flex it to remove the model. If it needs encouragement use an old, clean credit card or similar. I used this technique with my previous Robox. It works a treat.
Have fun.
Martin

Just to be contradictory to some previous comments I have had a Creality Ender3 S1 pro for a few months and had very few issues with it. I'm running a sonic pad with Klipper software printing mostly PLA but also ABS and had only one fail on the latter, my fault. That reminds me I must order some PETG.
It's the only printer I have experience of so still a beginner but you can only speak as you find.

I use the Creality slicer program and free version of Fusion 360. Clean the removable bed plate with soap and water and use an adhesive stick for ABS

I rarely clean my bed (Bambu P1S

Based on what I've read and my own experience, I think it's best advice to newcomers to FDM printing to keep their build plates fastidiously clean.
The PEI build plates (when clean) shouldn't need any extra glues or sprays, except in very particular situations.

It's easy for people to forget that some environments are more prone to plate contamination than others. Some people will have no problems, others more so.
Semi-enclosed printers like the P1 will be less susceptible to dust and other air borne contaminants.

Just to be contradictory to some previous comments I have had a Creality Ender3 S1 pro for a few months and had very few issues with it.
Sure, some people get lucky with their printers that work and it's good to read you're happy with it.

There are a few aspects of Creality's designs and implementations that are very good, but those don't out weigh the problems. Having dealt with Creality's support for the CR10SE, I would NEVER recommend buying from them.

Thanks for your info.
I'm into cnc router and laser and have both, so do you think that will give me a head start?
As for passing down to younger member, don't have them, never wanted them, don't like them either 🤣🤣 I'm the perverbial evil uncle and that's fine with me 🤣🤣🤣
So you better start with the next model up from the beginner one. Lol.

Was looking at a first ever printer. Is this too much or a good choice. Want the wallet to only hurt once, and only buy once.

Would like to make parts for stuff in my shop etc.

Attachments

• 2B0B5593-C720-4AB3-9091-1912090E01A3.jpeg
    2B0B5593-C720-4AB3-9091-1912090E01A3.jpeg
    321.2 KB
Sure, some people get lucky with their printers that work and it's good to read you're happy with it.

There are a few aspects of Creality's designs and implementations that are very good, but those don't out weigh the problems. Having dealt with Creality's support for the CR10SE, I would NEVER recommend buying from them.

That's fair enough and you clearly have far more experience than me however we're all prone to bias built on our own or perceived experience. I will never fly BA again unless absolutely no choice while others think they're superb, I'd never buy another Nissan car but they sell hundreds of thousands, I'd buy another Merc, BMW or Audi as never had a notable issue with any of them while others wouldn't have one as a gift.

As you say, maybe I've been lucky but I have a mate with a good one as well and I also own a Creality Falcon 2 and that's been faultless also.

That's fair enough and you clearly have far more experience than me however we're all prone to bias built on our own or perceived experience.
Well, I'm the third contributor to this thread to say avoid Creality based on actual experience, which should be pretty damming. Go and read on other forums and you'll find plenty of people saying the same thing.
Sure some people will get a good one, some will also have lower expectations or won't find out how bad Creality's support is until something goes wrong and they're left with a paper weight.

A couple of examples;
Most Creality bed slingers have an open Y axis belt. This makes it easy for detritus to fall into the belt cavity which in turn causes problems, you'll have to this recognise yourself. If you need to take it apart to clean it there are no instructions on how much or little to tighten the belt.
On a Bambu that belt is hidden below a cover. If it detects an issue with belt tightness you get a warning and a link to explain exactly how to adjust the belt. Not that I've ever had this issue anyway.

On the CR10SE a lot is made in their publicity of the ability to buy and add on their camera that in addition to giving a live view can spot problems and terminate printing. Great idea when/if it works.
BUT as soon as you have any issues with the printer support ask you if you have the camera installed. If you have you're told to remove it as it shouldn't be connected when starting printing and it's only a beta feature only. WTF ?

I could go on, but I'm shot of it now and happy to see the back of it. Just annoyed at the loss and huge wastes of time trying to sort it out.

I wasn't intending to criticise your opinion Rhossydd just gave mine based on limited experience but I stand by my comments.

Based on the number of Ender clones on the market I'd reason that they represent pretty good value for money and of course you're getting what you paid for but as I said, perhaps I'm lucky and I might decide to get something else in future but at the minute it does everything I want with ease. I have had it apart btw, it sits on my desk in a clean environment and no issues with debris though I have an enclosure if I wanted to use it.

I would never tell anyone to buy one or not based on my experience but then neither do I discount any product based on reviews, there are many ways to research and reviews are just part of that.

You clearly had a bad time with yours and have every right to feel aggrieved but that's no different to my experiences with the companies I mentioned while others had exactly the opposite.

I have a Flashforge 3 Pro, and the Shed just bought a 5M. My little 3 Pro (150mm) has printed about 50 or so items over the years and not one has failed, except for an ABS print when I forgot to turn the fan off. If you want a good entry level printer, I can recommend Flashforge. I understand the Flashforge 3 is no longer being produced.

Was looking at a first ever printer. Is this too much or a good choice. Want the wallet to only hurt once, and only buy once.

Would like to make parts for stuff in my shop etc.
I bought an X1C recently. It just works, lovely bit of kit that I’ve been very impressed with. I have dabbled with 3d printing and had a couple of machines a few years ago. This is so much more advanced than those but super simple to use. I don't think you'd be disappointed with one.

Back