Change of career - what too.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

The marriage is over sad to say and she's making it very hard using the 4 kids as pawns.

As to work I have a chat lined up in this field on Saturday.🙏

I could do handyman work but having to estimate and bill for work is my favourite thing!

Not knowing exactly what skills you have, and surmising your ‘handy’ id contact the local estate agents that manage properties. They are always looking for people to fix stuff on rentals.
OOps, Any professional estate agents have to use qualified trades to maintain rental properties, if only due to insurance, PI and liability.

OOps, Any professional estate agents have to use qualified trades to maintain rental properties, if only due to insurance, PI and liability.
They use trades with a minimum level of public liability insurance. There are only certain types of work where you need formal certification, eg gas.

Amazon have some flexible delivery programs (called "Flex") available where you can have more control on hours you do etc. Might be a good way to get some cash flow while you decide.

I know people who have done this and were happy with the arrangement

https://flex.amazon.co.uk/

I hope things get better soon. Remember, It will be OK in the end. And if it isn't OK, it means it isn't the end yet!

I'm friendly with a guy in our local village who cuts lawns during the summer and will do other garden and odd jobs, shrub pruning, clearing gutters etc during the winter. He has a regular route of cutting 60+ lawns each week, ranging from £20 for the smallest to £50/60 for largest. That's roughly 120 lawns in total as he normally cuts each on alternate weeks. With all the other stuff added he seems to make a decent living.

I'm friendly with a guy in our local village who cuts lawns during the summer and will do other garden and odd jobs, shrub pruning, clearing gutters etc during the winter. He has a regular route of cutting 60+ lawns each week, ranging from £20 for the smallest to £50/60 for largest. That's roughly 120 lawns in total as he normally cuts each on alternate weeks. With all the other stuff added he seems to make a decent living.
I could do that apart from the fact that the best area to do that is the village where my Mrs lives so that won't be happening!
I have a couple of irons in the fire so we'll see where it goes....

Wife and I split up about 10 years ago and even though it was all very civil it was the toughest thing I have been through so I can't imagine how hard it must be when things get more complicated. I'm not a fan of conflict and am a very balanced person where my ex was very reactive, opposites attract and all that but I think this was also our downfall.

Regarding jobs I would be looking for something that isn't too physical, I would have laughed at this a few years ago but I'm 53 now and in the last few years I have started falling apart , I have a dodgy shoulder, recurring tennis elbow and my knees are shot (poor me 🤣).

Around here there seems to be a shortage of decorators, people ask me all the time for recommendations but all the good ones have retired. I do know some but they aren't great and they don't seem to like working past 3pm. The old saying "If you can wee wee you can paint" (forum auto edited what I wrote there) seems to be true these days so maybe that could be an option?

Think I would look at getting a job rather than self employed though, I know the grass is always greener but self employed is a constant hassle. You need time for yourself and it would be good to only worry about work during work time rather than having customers hassling you on an evening and over the weekend.

Well went to a woodworking firm and they have offered me work.
Full time / part time depending upon what I require. Self employed though so don't know how that would work.

I won't mention the firm but I've known them for years and brought wood off them a few times (not timber merchants). He offered my son work a few years ago.

Hi James , well I’ve only flicked through the replies but all seem decent and well intended. Sorry to hear about your marriage but remember they are your kids too so avoid the blame game at all costs. My x was slating me to her family and her fakebook mates and it was all my fault 🤔🤔🤔 but my son ( autistic etc) needed support so I ignored most of it . He’s 15 now and the moment she opens her mouth with anything negative towards me he’s the first to come to my defence…. Work imo easy call .. do what you enjoy and what’s gives you satisfaction. Try something as suggested above eg gardening- if you don’t like it then move on . You will be amazed at how many people need a new garden gate , or a couple of fence panels, or a few wobbly slabs sorting. Advertising can be good but can also have you going all over the place quoting for jobs but not winning any . By far word of mouth is the best as we can all read those fake reviews and get caught out .I do anything and everything that I’m confident in producing excellent results. Recently started fitting bathroom cladding panels ( I’ve done about 4 now and although they can be a pita it’s easier than tiles ,,so trust your gut and enjoy. The best way to describe myself atm is an all trades or multi trades is the latest description. I could be taking a tree down or fitting out a bathroom or first fix /2nd fix carpentry or assembling the dreaded flat pack furniture.. good luck 🤞

Back