Cedar of Lebanon Sapwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Have a piece of straight sawn cedar of Lebanon I was planning to make a draw bottom out of this morning and was just setting up the bandsaw when it struck me that I was about to use lots of the sapwood.

I've posted a picture of the piece I have - should I only be using the darker central section of this as a draw bottom or will all of it be fine? My head says the former, my heart says the latter.

Does anyone have any advice?

Regards
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_9019.jpg
    IMG_9019.jpg
    4.3 MB
Technically, there's no good reason to not use the sapwood for the purpose you describe, i.e., drawer bottoms. However, Cedar of Lebanon is used for that purpose primarily for the cedarwood oil fragrance which is said to have insect repellent properties therefore its use in clothes drawers. It's the heartwood that has the oil rather than the sapwood so if it's the clothes protecting properties you're after keep that in mind.

If your drawers are not for holding clothes then it might be worth asking yourself why you've chosen this wood species because the allegedly protective fragrance has no purpose. Having said that, your wood choice isn't necessarily a 'wrong' choice. Slainte.

Technically, there's no good reason to not use the sapwood for the purpose you describe, i.e., drawer bottoms. However, Cedar of Lebanon is used for that purpose primarily for the cedarwood oil fragrance which is said to have insect repellent properties therefore its use in clothes drawers. It's the heartwood that has the oil rather than the sapwood so if it's the clothes protecting properties you're after keep that in mind.

If your drawers are not for holding clothes then it might be worth asking yourself why you've chosen this wood species because the allegedly protective fragrance has no purpose. Having said that, your wood choice isn't necessarily a 'wrong' choice. Slainte.
Hi Richard,

I just love the smell of the wood to be honest - I use it in all my furniture for no other reason. Makes me nostalgic for my grandfather's workshop. I normally have bought pre sawn panels in the past.

The accepted approach is to leave it out. Sapwood of certain species, can't confirm myself with cedar, is the most delicious part that is attractive to worms or bug infestation of the wood.

The accepted approach is to leave it out. Sapwood of certain species, can't confirm myself with cedar, is the most delicious part that is attractive to worms or bug infestation of the wood.
I've had some large and very old pieces of Cedar of Lebanon kicking around for years and showing absolutely no trace of woodworm even in the sapwood. Compare and contrast sycamore or beech which can be wrecked in a very short time.

Latest posts

Back