Calor gas bottles for barbecue.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
Just bought a cheap gas barbecue from Lidl. I have to say it seems fairly well made by comparison with the last two we've owned, but to be honest, that's a fairly low bar. It does have stainless steel burners, however.
Anyway, it claims to be compatible with 8kg 9kg and 11kg gas bottles (or something like that...) the two we have are 13kg. I'm guessing that this is really just about what size of gas bottle will fit under the grill, rather than some other reason, but would welcome some reassurance before I blow up the neighborhood through ignorance..

Will work fine never had a limit on gas bottle size tbh.
The different connections are a pain tbh.

I was under the impression that all gas barbecues now sold in the UK were supplied with a gas bottle regulator only suitable for connection to the
Green " Patio " gas bottles...?
I think to run them off a Blue Calor gas bottle requires a different regulator..?

I found out the hard way about gas bbqs and low pressure regulators when one melted the side of the bbq at a rather drunken session and the flame nearly burned off my essentials. Always referred to by my friends as when Geoff nearly became a eunuch.

Barbecue? gas bottle?
Surely you mean “outdoor gas cooker”.
Both my barbecues burn charcoal.
😂

So, a Barbecue is only a Barbecue if it uses charcoal as a fuel...?
If it uses Gas as a fuel,....Its called an outdoor gas cooker...?

Apparently, you can now buy Electric powered Barbecues......What are they known as..?

I've just done a Google search and it seems as though you are part of a very small minority of people who believe that a Barbecue must be using charcoal as fuel @JefL

As far as I remember, the word comes from a Taino word "barbacoa" which refers to a frame of sticks used for cooking over a fire. So probably no propane involved.
However, language does evolve, like it or not.
One of my barbecues burns charcoal, the other gas. I'm a great believer in diversity.

The bottle size is only the maximum capacity of the bottle, the price of gas per KG becomes cheaper as the bottle size increases.
As for patio gas, [green] Calor et al propane [red bottle] as far as I am aware they are the same apart from the connector. I guess the connector reasons are several, the patio connector is automatic and "foolproof" ?? whereas the standard propane L/H male screw connector allows the use of variable regulators as well as fixed pressure ones and requires tools to fit it. Variable regulators would be use with say oxygen/propane cutting equipment, gas torches etc etc.
Butane [Blue bottle] uses a female thread regulator so it cannot be interchanged with Propane, but butane will freeze up in low temperature conditions or high demand for gas flow whereas Propane will not -- unless I guess gets extremely cold outside ?
I changed the patio gas regulator on my recently purchased BBQ to a standard propane one with the correct pressure, the reason being I use my propane bottles for other purposes as well as the BBQ.
NOTE----I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN THIS FIELD SO USUAL DISCLAIMER CAVEATS APPLY -- SEEK PROFESSIONAL ADVICE FROM A GAS SUPPLIER --- If in doubt don't do it !

So, a Barbecue is only a Barbecue if it uses charcoal as a fuel...?
If it uses Gas as a fuel,....Its called an outdoor gas cooker...?

Apparently, you can now buy Electric powered Barbecues......What are they known as..?

I've just done a Google search and it seems as though you are part of a very small minority of people who believe that a Barbecue must be using charcoal as fuel @JefL
Tongue in cheek, I'd have thought.

Actually, I much prefer wood to charcoal.

So where would a pellet smoker fit into your pecking order? Pellets being compressed hardwood bought in bags. They are quite popular here. My wife is hell bent on getting a portable one to take camping and to use at home. https://louisiana-grills.ca/products/louisiana-grills-300-black-label-portable-wood-pellet-grill

Our propane gas is sold in tanks, 20lb being most popular, that are refilled when empty, at gas (petrol) stations. Tank is good for 10 years before needing pressure testing and recertification or replacement.

Pete

Valve fits, barbecue worked, sausages and hamburgers cooked and eaten. Bit slow, cooking wise, but the advantage of a fairly small barbecue is that I can get the grills, the burner covers and the drip tray in the dishwasher. Bargain at 69.99, even if I have to replace the burner covers for SS ones after a couple of years.
Wonder if the refill place will swap the 13kg bottle for a smaller one, that'd fit under the grill? I'll find out when the bottle runs out.

Valve fits, barbecue worked, sausages and hamburgers cooked and eaten. Bit slow, cooking wise, but the advantage of a fairly small barbecue is that I can get the grills, the burner covers and the drip tray in the dishwasher. Bargain at 69.99, even if I have to replace the burner covers for SS ones after a couple of years.
Wonder if the refill place will swap the 13kg bottle for a smaller one, that'd fit under the grill? I'll find out when the bottle runs out.
Go to John Stayte at Eastcombe, they're very helpful.
Brian

The bottle size is only the maximum capacity of the bottle, the price of gas per KG becomes cheaper as the bottle size increases.
As for patio gas, [green] Calor et al propane [red bottle] as far as I am aware they are the same apart from the connector. I guess the connector reasons are several, the patio connector is automatic and "foolproof" ?? whereas the standard propane L/H male screw connector allows the use of variable regulators as well as fixed pressure ones and requires tools to fit it. Variable regulators would be use with say oxygen/propane cutting equipment, gas torches etc etc.
Butane [Blue bottle] uses a female thread regulator so it cannot be interchanged with Propane, but butane will freeze up in low temperature conditions or high demand for gas flow whereas Propane will not -- unless I guess gets extremely cold outside ?
I changed the patio gas regulator on my recently purchased BBQ to a standard propane one with the correct pressure, the reason being I use my propane bottles for other purposes as well as the BBQ.
NOTE----I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN THIS FIELD SO USUAL DISCLAIMER CAVEATS APPLY -- SEEK PROFESSIONAL ADVICE FROM A GAS SUPPLIER --- If in doubt don't do it !
My Pizza oven came with a Patio Gas regulator. As I don’t have a Patio Gas cylinder but do have two Propane cylinders I bought a Propane regulator for the oven instead. The regulator has a hand wheel fitting with a rubber sealing mechanism so no tools are required. I also bought a quick release fitting so packing the oven away after use is much easier as there’s no attached regulator, just a short length of hose.

Back