Bobbin sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought branded/unbranded sleeves that do or don't fit their particular sander? I have a Draper that I've just started using and I bought Triton sleeves that are slightly too loose. A couple of smears of adhesive of some kind left to dry will probably be enough to make the usable, but I was wondering if anyone else had sleeves that were not interchangeable with their sander.

I have some that are a bit of a loose fit. Not sure if moisture has got to them and they expanded a smidge, but not all sleeves in sets have been loose. I've wound 3M blue painter's tape around the rubber bobbins, in a spiral like on a drum sander. Trim after. Doesn't have to be 100% edge-to-edge to work.
Twist on the sanding sleeves. The tape's stayed put no problem, a quick waft from a heat gun softens it to pull off when it's been on there a while (some of mine been taped for months).
Usually one tape spiral sorts it, sometimes need to double up though.

I have a Record Power BBS 100 bobbin sander that I've had for nearly 20 years I reckon.....Admittedly, it doesn't get used often at all.

prod_000139_asset_0_1333029095.jpg

But, on those rare occasions, if I remember correctly, to change a bobbin sleeve, I have to slacken the nut on the top of the bobbin to loosen the sleeve, fit a new sleeve and then tighten the nut again.

I think the nut must allow the rubber bobbin to expand & contract, thus making it easy to slide on & off the sandpaper sleeve....?
I imagine this would allow for slightly odd diameter sleeves...?

That's what I would have thought, but the rubber cylinders on mine are so hard I wouldn't have thought they'd deform - at least, they don't appear to.

I have to admit, I only realised that the rubber bobbin actually did expand & contract when I came to replace the sanding sleeve 👍 as it was a really tight fit......Once the nut was undone, the replacement process was easy.
A classic case of me not bothering to read the instructions....😁😁😁

Back