Best way to joint a window mullion to the surrounding frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, as title, making a couple of windows by hand rather than the usual buy them in option and while I have the cross joint worked out for the mullions, I scratching my head a little for the best way to locate / attach the mullions to the horizontal and vertical frame members around them. They looked too small and fiddly for dominoes, so some kind of joint is required.......Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Mullions are normally mortice and tenoned, scribed as required.

In a window frame the mullions run through and any transoms go in between - with small stub tenons for location.

Generally they are screwed the same as the outer jambs

Note: Mullions are vertical components, transoms are horizontal)

I should add you need to think about water shedding if the sashes are flush fitting - sometimes the transom has a small drip added, and the transom and head of sash have a drip groove to carry the water to the side.

Thanks, maybe I used the incorrect terminolgy....The mullion I refer to is the profiled section in the picture these need to be jointed into the frame of the window. I was going to use dominoes for assembling the frame sections and planned to drop in the assembled glazing mullions after......
If the frame is complete the only way I can see you can do this is to have an open mortice/tenon, so you slide your mullions in from the rear and it is then all locked into place when you glaze it.

Back