Bench grinder motor repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

My huge vintage Wolf bench grinder went pop (literally). I initially suspected the capacitor, but it was actually the now-incredibly brittle wire between the motor and the switch that had worn through the insulation and shorted out.

I would really like to repair this as it's a terrific bit of kit, so hopefully you can help me with a couple of questions, as the iffy cable goes right in to the motor winding.

Firstly: what is the tape/binding that goes around the copper winding called, as I will need to cut at least some of the bindings,

Secondly: will it all spring in to an unruly bird's nest when I do cut them? Or will it retain its shape? I am guessing the latter, but thought it worth asking!

Thanks

p.s. this is single phase.View attachment motor winding 02.jpg

Firstly: what is the tape/binding that goes around the copper winding called, as I will need to cut at least some of the bindings,

Secondly: will it all spring in to an unruly bird's nest when I do cut them?

I am wondering if your Google is broken in the same way as your motor. If you type 'motor winding string' into a search engine, you find some alternative (and maybe more professional) terms for the stuff.

Even if you know what it is called, finding somewhere that will sell you less than enough to go from London to Brighton is another challenge.

I do not know if they have it but brocott.co.uk are a good source for motory stuff. Your local re-winder would probably sell you a few yards for a box of biscuits.

Cotton string would do as an alternative.

No, it will not spring apart. The binding keeps everything in place before the varnish is poured over the windings. Once that has set, they are not going to move if you cut the string.

The siliconised fibreglass sleeving that you get with downlights is good for insulating motor wires. If you can find a scrap domestic cooker, there is a lot of heat proof wire and sleeving to be found inside

I am wondering if your Google is broken in the same way as your motor. If you type 'motor winding string' into a search engine, you find some alternative (and maybe more professional) terms for the stuff.

Even if you know what it is called, finding somewhere that will sell you less than enough to go from London to Brighton is another challenge.

I do not know if they have it but brocott.co.uk are a good source for motory stuff. Your local re-winder would probably sell you a few yards for a box of biscuits.

No, it will not spring apart. The binding keeps everything in place before the varnish is poured over the windings. Once that has set, they are not going to move if you cut the string.

The siliconised fibreglass sleeving that you get with downlights is good for insulating motor wires. If you can find a scrap domestic cooker, there is a lot of heat proof wire and sleeving to be found inside
Thank you for the useful parts of your post. Shame you spoiled with your smug sarcasm.
This used to be an awesome site. Bye.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/4-840b/lacing-cord-19-x-026mm-x-200m/dp/cbbr6306?mckv=s_dc|pcrid|426684131036|kword||match||plid||slid||product|CBBR6306|pgrid|100371158838|ptaid|pla-916657597435|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING-9262013734-100371158838-CBBR6306&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131036!!!network}!916657597435!&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_m6B2jEkI19ay2TbJU97NUdZJnR&gclid=Cj0KCQjwq_G1BhCSARIsACc7NxoMVau9Rk1Oo_e3RSI4ogY7q2AmZH-vIsttyrfT43yG9rXpo8Uyw2waAudCEALw_wcB

^ something like this should do you. Stator lacing cord/thread. Usual binding form is an interlocking blanket stitch, or what I would call Ford interlocking.

Or, use some butcher’s string, daubing with some varnish afterwards. Works a treat, and shown to me by a proper old-school lecky engineer. I’ve also seen small cable ties used.

Scratch or burn away the insulation over the winding end, clean up with fine emery, solder on the repair wire and heat shrink over.

I’m with @mondo - can’t see the need for such grumpiness.

Last edited:
And it will continue to be so. But not if people try to use it in a lazy 'please do my homework for me' manner. Research your question first, using the appropriate resources, and then post here for clarification.
Please park the attitude.
It is not your job to police the forum.
Your advice on many topics is constructive and welcomed but if it comes with this, you are not obliged to waste your time offering it.

Do you need a hug?

Back