Beginner tools / timber advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzpoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I'm just getting into woodworking. I'm setting up a little workshop in the garage. I've got myself a sliding mitre saw, palm router , pocket hole jig, basic hand tools, sander , jigsaw.
I'm using mostly pallet wood to practice I've made a little slate top table with studs from Wickes. and been messing with making stars.
I'd like to make some coasters but I'm struggling with my tools and timber.
I've not got a huge budget or loads of space so I'm currently working on a table for my mitre saw with a router table build in.
My questions are if anyone can help. What tool do I need next for making coasters , tea light holder ect. Should I get a table saw, maybe incorporate it into the mitre station.
I keep checking marketplace , ebay ect but never much in my area. So I've pretty much got Screwfix , Wickes ect.
Also any advise on where to get some different wood, small, workable pieces that I can practice on and move myself up from pallet wood.
I'll add a couple of pic of my efforts.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

1000016799.jpg
1000017032.jpg
1000016442.jpg

Whereabouts are you so that people can advise? Keep an eye out on local sale rooms for old solid wood furniture, goes very cheap and it should have some decent Oak or Mahogany in it. Tools well as always that depends! On what you want to make and how, Tealight holders you will probably need a Forster bit but then you will probably want a pillar drill. Coasters, you will probably find that most wood is too thick, different ways of reducing it depending on your skill and tools.
What you have made looks quite presentable!

Hi and welcome 🤗 I’d say depending on your miter saw capabilities a decent blade , you can then cut down a larger piece of timber into coasters unless you have the funds for a bandsaw. Next imo would be a pillar drill and a set of Forstner bits for your tea light holders . As for timber reclaimed, skips ( with the owners consent) old furniture and eBay sell loads of off cuts ..

I see you not new to these parts, you have done well with your projects, to be honest coasters should be a walk in the park after them.

You don't list your hand tools, other than "basic" which is where I suggest you should focus your resources, power tools have their uses and place, but are not the always the best answer for simple projects, and gaining skills using hand tools would be a better approach.

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's good to know I'm doing ok.
My basic hand tools are few saws , squares , clamps.. obviously this list needs adding to which is where I've been struggling. Every tutorial , YouTube vid ect use a planer, thicknesser , table saw. Just to prep the material. When it comes to pallet wood , studs ect I'm limited to what I can do with it due it's its thickness. I know I could make birdhouses , planters ect but I'll quickly run out of space for them. I'd like to do some smaller projects, maybe give them as gifts.
I did buy a 42mm forstner bit and quickly realised that using it in a hand drill was a bad idea 😔. So I have been looking at drill presses. But with a limited budget it's hard to know which tool to add first.

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's good to know I'm doing ok.
My basic hand tools are few saws , squares , clamps.. obviously this list needs adding to which is where I've been struggling. Every tutorial , YouTube vid ect use a planer, thicknesser , table saw. Just to prep the material. When it comes to pallet wood , studs ect I'm limited to what I can do with it due it's its thickness. I know I could make birdhouses , planters ect but I'll quickly run out of space for them. I'd like to do some smaller projects, maybe give them as gifts.
I did buy a 42mm forstner bit and quickly realised that using it in a hand drill was a bad idea 😔. So I have been looking at drill presses. But with a limited budget it's hard to know which tool to add first.
Car boots , Facebook m p , eBay , gumtree and of course the for sale section on this site are all decent ways of obtaining quality tools at a reasonable price . There are then drill guides that allow you to drill perpendicular to your work piece from fairly cheap to very expensive some of these guides allow you to drill up to 50mm so worth looking at previous threads on these guides ..good luck 🍀

Very well made projects for a beginner! Kudos.

I advise against getting a table saw, at least at this stage. As you say space is limited. They take up a lot of space, (needing in feed and out feed space) they seem ubiquitous on you tube where American garages have a lot more space. They require some safety knowledge, as they can be dangerous (don't trust you tube on this, explore this forum for more)

Every tutorial , YouTube vid ect use a planer, thicknesser , table saw. Just to prep the material
A (hand) plane would help you alter the thickness of your timber for relatively little investment of money and space.

It may also be worth looking for tutorials for hand tools. Paul Sellers for example.
I'm not suggesting you adopt a hand tools only policy, but to explore materials on the use of hand tools as a cost and space effective way to advance your skills

My questions are if anyone can help. What tool do I need next for making coasters , tea light holder ect. Should I get a table saw, maybe incorporate it into the mitre station.
I keep checking marketplace , ebay ect but never much in my area. So I've pretty much got Screwfix , Wickes ect.
Also any advise on where to get some different wood, small, workable pieces that I can practice on and move myself up from pallet wood.
I'll add a couple of pic of my efforts.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

I'd suggest with purchasing power tools for your purposes a 10" BandSaw and a pillar Drill. Table saws whilst useful I think a bandsaw is more practical for your purposes.

As above(Diver Fred) A bandsaw is a must. I got a 10" record power one a couple of decades ago and its been good enough for 90% of the work i do

I would reccomend keeping an eye on facebook marketplace. People often clear out garages and the newer generations just don't have much interest on these tools and machines so often they go cheaply. Furthermore, older-made tools tend to be made with longevity more in mind.

You do have to be patient but I have had some right results from there.

It sounds like a bandsaw, a pillar drill, and some planes would all be helpful.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I've decided along with some hand tools I'll get a bandsaw. I've watched some vids and I will get alot of use out of one. Plus it won't take up much room. I was a bit confused with sizes at first as couldn't work out what the 9" or 10" was referring too..
Obviously without a huge budget some compromises have to be made. I don't want to cheap that it doesn't work as intended, so I've picked 3. If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look and helping me choose. Anyone got any experience with them. They are maxing the budget so unless there's something out there you know of cheaper. I can't go anymore.
Wasn't thinking second hand either. I'm not experienced enough to pick out a lemon so would like a new one with warranty.

https://www.lumberjacktools.co.uk/b...ch-top-bandsaw-led-light-dust-tray/p-lum00105

https://www.rutlands.com/collections/bandsaws

https://www.yandles.co.uk/record-po...QA1BQ40nkECyiaDOnWAWWSuaN4MuBYPgaAs5bEALw_wcB

I would say the record has the best reputation amongst those 3.

Bear in mind it's a small bandsaw so has limited capability for resawing (cutting thick pieces into narrower pieces down the entire length). With the smaller saws you can't use wider blades that are best for the straighter cuts as the saw can't tension them enough. That, and power. But as you're making small things, this may not be a priority to you and you could just buy narrower timber to start with.

The two key measurements with bandsaws are throat clearance (how much fits on the left of the blade) and depth of cut.

Often recommended is a decent blade (which will depend on the types of cuts you're making. There's a thread which explains it all somewhere, but I can't find it). Tuffsaws are recommended as good blades. I have a few. https://tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=4

And dust extraction. You need some dust extraction to go with

Bandsaws are described by the width of the 'throat' - Blade to Lefthand Pillar, usually in imperial. The blade width is important so just the extra 1/8 can be of benefit when ripping. Motor power is very much a muchness. Ease of spares and factory support is worthwhile thinking about.

So from reading the spec's the Lumberjack and Rutlands machines are supplied by the same factory. Lots of useful bells and whistles.
The record Power machine has a deeper throat.

From your location consider where the factory is RecordPower is Chesterfield, Rutlands, Bakewell and Lumberjack in the West Midlands. I've had dealings with Rutland's and Lumberjack, both have been helpful and prompt is supporting me. I hear that RecordPower are equally as good (and the older firm).

I think it comes down to distance of the 'factory' to where you live as much as anything. You are likely to get better service with dealing with the factory rather than an agent. Yandle's are in Somerset, they do have a good reputation.
(My bandsaw came from 'Charnwood' via an agent, for service I ended up going to the factory.)

I agree with MarkAW that dust extraction is important - but saying that I used a Vax cyclone domestic vacuum cleaner for a long time with my bandsaw. I also agree with MarkAW thoughts on machine to buy.

Talk to TuffSaws for blades as you will need to replace the blade sooner than later. You should also have selection of both width and TPI (Teeth Per Inch). If you cut curves that reserve that blade for curves only.

Thank you for your replies. It's very helpful and appreciated. I have been swaying towards the record as from what I worked out has a deeper max cut of 125mm. I was thinking for now, 100mm would be the max I would be working with. Maybe 4 x 4s .

I'm not sure what blades come with any of them but I will look into getting a few different ones.

I have this extractor. It's modest but does a job.

Thanks again everyone.

https://www.toolstation.com/evoluti...iTUJWl7GA_3hf5QVs-xoCUXkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back