Bathroom ceiling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
A week ago I moved into a property that has been speacially adapted for my disability needs. It really makes me mad when I see the way some people decorate, especially when they overlap the cutting in by as much as an inch. Hand holds are covered in paint, which I have removed and will replace with new ones. I spent 5 days on the kitchen and that was just the preparation, now i am pleased with the way its taking shape. It will be another couple of months before I get all the rooms done.

I am starting on the bathroom now and the ceiling leaves a lot to be desired. Over the years all sorts finishes have gone up. Its blistered in places, other places it is flaking off. I have just removed all the loose stuff and some small bits of plaster have come off. I can fill those bits and rub down after but there are small areas of the ceiling that are uneven and really I would like to get them smooth. I won't use my big orbital sander because of the dust so will do the best I can with a hand sander but I was wondering what I could put on the ceiling in the way of a decent finish that would hide the blemishes once I have finished the prep work. What about a textured finish. Open to all sorts of suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Geoff. I'd avoid a textured finish if by that you mean something like Artex (stipple finish). It's too difficult to keep clean. The battening/re-lining suggestion sounds like a good one.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Hi Geoff

Another option is a plastic ceiling. I fit them regularly and if the existing ceiling is flat and sound they can be fixed using silicone or liquid nails (white if poss) and just pin or staple the back of the groove while the glue sets. Otherwise can fit to thin battens

Dead easy to cut and fit, hygenic, wipe clean no more decorating.
Most popular are white gloss T&G which I buy in 5 mtre lengths for about £7 + vat a length. If you take a handsaw you can cut easily to rough lengths to get in a car.

Bob

Bob, your idea sounds really good, where can I get the ceiling. My son could put that up fpor me.

MMUK and Pete. Your ideas, although ideal, are not an option for me. I am disabled.

+1

T&G plastic ceiling isn't a bad idea, we did some sterile labs for somebody and they had the T&G with plastic trim around the edges. They looked good and are easy to clean.

While you are at it make sure you have a good enough extractor fan - it's probably the reason why there's been so many coats of paint to date. Also check the insulation above is adequate.

Hi Geoff

There are loads of plastic trim suppliers all over the country. I have 3 or 4 within easy reach of me for example and you could buy on line though the carriage could be expensive. It's also available via bathroom companies (it's in the Frontline catalogue as well,) and builders / plumbers merchants - again price varies.

I forgot to say that finished width is 250mm so easy to calculate and when fixing an extra pair of hands is useful or make up a couple of props out of laths.

Here's a link I just picked out quickly to show what I mean and so you know what to ask for but it's been around a long time and easy to find. This example is only 2.6m for the same price (inc vat) I pay for 5m so not cheap but look around as there'll be somebody near you.
http://www.wansbeckplastics.co.uk/produ ... dfb21a8056

Heres another in packs of 5.......... http://www.ipsluk.co.uk/designer_panels ... tAodTyEAxQ

Just google "plastic ceiling panels" and you'll see what I mean.

Our own en-suite is just basic gloss white, been in 7 years and as good as new but I recently put in a white with chrome trims and it looks the business if you like a bit of bling.

Bob

A cheaper option if you just want white is to go to Eurocell and ask for 300mm hollow board cladding. Comes in packs of 10 5m lengths but you can buy singly. Retail price is around £17 a length with VAT but I pay £7.50 +VAT with my trade account.

Many thanks guys, you have opened up a whole new world with lots of options. Will wait till the festivities are over and then its one new ceiling. Thanks again for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Back