Bandsaw question, what does this gauge represent?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up an old Meber bandsaw that works well but is in need of some tic. I've not been able to find a proper manual online, just an exploded diagram so I'm not sure what the 10-15-20 means on this gauge, which looks to be blade tension related but I'm not sure if it's percentage of something like wear or how tension should be set relative to it. Has anyone seen anything like it before?

IMG_5833.jpeg

The saw in question, needs some cleanup and fettling which is a winter project.

IMG_5834.jpeg

I guess blade tension guide. Have something similar on my Startrite 352.
Easy to find out just wind the tension up and down and see if it changes (assuming it is in working order of course!)

Would strike me as an indicator of how much tension to apply for a specific blade width and assuming the white line is the moving part of the scale it’s currently in a position that would be appropriate for about a 35mm wide blade which I’m guessing is a bit beyond its capability to tension so there is either no blade fitted or it’s being stretched far too much.

Unwound the tension to the point the blade can be slid off and the gauge is at this position

IMG_5839.jpeg

Put a reasonable amount of tension on it and it’s here
IMG_5840.jpeg

Still need to learn what the correct amount of tension should be but I think I’ve leaned that basically the gauge is meaningless :)

The blade and tension adjustment will only give an indication and needs the correct length blade for that machine, get in touch with Tuffsaws they will tell you what blade should be on that machine.

The blade and tension adjustment will only give an indication and needs the correct length blade for that machine, get in touch with Tuffsaws they will tell you what blade should be on that machine.
I spoke with Tuffsaws when I got the machine and have three blades from them of the correct length

The rubbers on the wheels might have worn down, so need to move further to tension.

Back