Anyone used a Planex wall / ceiling sander ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
For the next few weeks, Festool are doing a £100 cashback offer on their range of Planex "giraffe" sanders. Think 10" random orbit sander on the end of a stick and designed for fine finishing of plastered walls and ceilings.

I've never even seen one in the flesh, let alone used one, but with some rooms to replaster, including ceilings to replace, I wonder if this could help turn an amateur pastering job into something more acceptable.

2e62535a-83b8-11ea-8108-005056b31774_800_533.jpg

Stupid money these things, but with a transferrable warranty they may hold a decent resale value after say a year and three rooms worth of use.

The biggest argument for not simply paying someone to do the work is that it needs to be fitted in piecemeal around us living in the house. There isn't a saving to be made by letting the pro's come in and blitz the place in one go.

For better or worse, I'm looking at the 2nd gen Festool version because it is the only one of these that has a random orbit sander rather than a simple rotary head.

Doing a beginners plastering course this weekend. Wish me luck :)

Attachments

• d49e48ba-4fe3-11ef-8a53-005056b3ad01_800_533 (1).jpg
    d49e48ba-4fe3-11ef-8a53-005056b3ad01_800_533 (1).jpg
    51.7 KB
Just plaster it properly, these are more for drywall stuff with taped joints than a full skim with multi finish.
Plastering is not that bad except ceilings which will kill your shoulder. Its a lot to do with getting it mixed to a proper consiscency.

Just plaster it properly, these are more for drywall stuff with taped joints than a full skim with multi finish.
Plastering is not that bad except ceilings which will kill your shoulder. Its a lot to do with getting it mixed to a proper consiscency.
I'd love to think that i'll be able to plaster it properly !

I have a bad back, neck, and both shoulders are a mess. I may have little choice but to go for taped joints on the ceiling after putting up new plasterboard.

My mate made the smart suggestion that I get some practice by plastering the existing ceiling before I rip it down. That experience may kill the whole plan :)

I saw this offer yesterday, designed for "dry wall", not plaster, all the people I know in the industry wouldn't buy one, because they still prefer to skim plaster.

Got to be honest, get a plaster in, it is a no brainer, even on a piecemeal basis as long as they have enough sets to do in day, my go to plasterer will fit small jobs in on his way home, (normally after 3pm!)

You would probably as a novice do a reasonable job on walls but ceilings forget it, unless you deck the room out, also a lot of plasterers are using speedskim floats now.

Says he who laboured in the 90's for a plastering gang, but wouldn't even entertain the idea now.

Back