Angle grinders, managing vibration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Task coming up, 125mm angle grinder based.
How do you minimise vibration please?

Memories of using a harsh wire brush and giving up after 5 minutes, my hands tingling.
This job is a mortar rake for re-pointing.

if it does that in 5 mins something is wrong...
occ u get a bad wire brush but not often....i take em back for a refund but I always buy 2 at a time....
just by chance would it be a DeWalt machine.....quite known for vibs.....
I have one and just waiting for it to die...only use it as a cut off grinder.....noisey peice of junk....
all my other Hitachi, Makita's are fine for all day use.....
have to admit an hours work with a 9" leave my back aching....but no tingles...

Look for Impacto Air Gloves. They are the best anti-vibration glove I've found. They don't stop the vibration but they reduce the effects so you can work longer. Best is to change the tool or way you do it to minimize the vibration. Once tool vibration becomes a problem you have it for good and can only avoid or minimize it.

Pete

Metabo Wepba grinders are better than most for minimising vibration- spendy compared to a regular one though

Another vote for Metabo grinders here. Heavy and powerful, some of their better models have a bunch of loose ball bearings in a raceway around the spindle. They are free to move and in use, they natuarally take a position that offsets any imbalance in your wheel. This makes for a low vibration tool.

I have a metabo, best grinder i have ever had, its at least 30 years old & the model number is not even recognised any more. Doesnt vibrate at all.

@pe2dave
If you have a multi tool, how about something like this:

Milwaukee Multi Tool Grout Removal Carbide Grit Blade 75mm x 20mm x 2.png.png
I was using similar the other day to cut out a recess for a double gang back box and cable run, in plaster/red brick.

I had two back boxes to fit: the first one I used the angle grinder, while precariously holding my vac nozzle in the other hand, but the airborne dust was unacceptable.

For the second back box, I used the multi tool, and it created hardly any dust without using a vac. I could also control the depth of the cut much more accurately too!

If it’s lime mortar you are raking out, then a multi tool would whizz through the job. Also the fact that it doesn’t need a guard allows a good view of the area you’re fouling.

I have both a 18V Milwaukee multi tool, which purrs like a ginger cat, and I have a corded cheap and cheerful one that would probably make the tips of your fingers go numb after 15mins of use, similar to a <£50 angle grinder. However since getting a High Output battery I will always reach for the cordless.

I think gloves are probably the way to go. Even cycling fingerless ones with the gel pads might help if you have some. My own 115 grinder is just a cheapy and isn't too bad for vibration but I bought a Bosch wood carving disc and the thing must be slightly out of balance. Whizzing round at high speed it feels bloody scary, like the whole thing is going to fly to pieces!
But that multi tool looks good to get the pointing out but probably a lot slower than the angle grinder.

@pe2dave
If you have a multi tool, how about something like this:

View attachment 152612
I was using similar the other day to cut out a recess for a double gang back box and cable run, in plaster/red brick.

I had two back boxes to fit: the first one I used the angle grinder, while precariously holding my vac nozzle in the other hand, but the airborne dust was unacceptable.

For the second back box, I used the multi tool, and it created hardly any dust without using a vac. I could also control the depth of the cut much more accurately too!

If it’s lime mortar you are raking out, then a multi tool would whizz through the job. Also the fact that it doesn’t need a guard allows a good view of the area you’re fouling.

I have both a 18V Milwaukee multi tool, which purrs like a ginger cat, and I have a corded cheap and cheerful one that would probably make the tips of your fingers go numb after 15mins of use, similar to a <£50 angle grinder. However since getting a High Output battery I will always reach for the cordless.
No @Herr Nilsson - I have to dig out 30m x 2m of poor 'grout' in a brick wall.
Thanks - I need to vac attached too!

Back