Advice about best tool to use for project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallingstar_lulu1

Reaction score
Hello, I am a teacher and wish to make some adjustments to the equipment in my classroom. In the construction area there are wooden planks about 5mm thick with holes along the middle. The children join them with wooden screws to build things. We needed some new screws but the only one we could find are 1mm bigger thank the holes.

What is the best way to make the holes 2mm bigger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep as above a 2mm or 3 mm or whatever size you need . Are these ( screws) threaded or tapered dowels . If these screws are 1mm bigger than the originals won’t they just fall through if you make the holes 2mm bigger - if you follow me ..

Are the holes threaded for the wooden screws or smooth sided? If smooth then just running a larger drill through will do but if threaded then you need a tap(threading tool) to match the thread on the new screws.
Some pictures would help explain just what needs doing plus the diameter of the holes and the new screws.
Regards
John

For opening out a hole in relatively thin material, I wonder if a drill bit is the best choice.

I would think there is a good chance of chipping or splintering. The items are to be used by children so that would seem a problem.

Maybe some abrasive paper glued to a dowel and spun in a cordless drill woud sand the holes larger.

As above, the diameter of the existing holes and also the number of holes requiring modification will influence the best method.

If there are lots to do, and a drill press is available, a forstner bit, a locating jig and a sacrificial board under would be clean and quick for 100 pieces. But the machine might not be there and for only three pieces it would be too much work.

A drill in a drill press is essential. You need a supporting scrap under the hole to avoid breakout and position the hole accurately. A hardwood like beech works best as it's virtually splinter free.

@Fallingstar_lulu1
It would help the members to give you the right advice if they could see a photograph or two of the equipment you want to modify. You have given a good description but that doesn't provide all the information we need and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Also, can you say a word or two about your (and any helpers') experience with woodwork and whether you have access to tools and a workshop.

Thanks and welcome to UKW.

Back