8” Mitre Saw Recommendations - Makita LS0816F vs Hikoki C8FSHG

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cup of tea

Reaction score
I could do with a mitre saw for a couple of projects I have coming up. 8 1/2” SCMS is big enough, so wondering if anyone has any experience / views on these two as I can’t find any review online. I’d assume the Makita is slightly better finish and quality, but not much to tell. The biggest difference is the Makita has rear facing rails, while the Hikoki has front rails, which would be nice for saving space in workshop.

Very similar cutting spec
Makita had 100w more power
Both can trench cut
Makita has light for shadow line, Hikoki has laser line

£204 - https://www.makitauk.com/product/ls0816f.html

£146 - https://www.hikoki-powertools.co.uk/products/c8fshg

£230 - Dewalt DWS773

£245 - Bosch GCM 800 SJ

Last edited:
Sorry can't help on them two, but I do have the dw773 and it's a great saw .
The forward rails are such a space saver too.
BUT it doesn't have trench cut facility.

I have the slightly older model of the Bosch which I use on site and if I need a second saw in the workshop. Also its very easy to transport
Great saw for the money needed very little set up tough enough for site work building decking.
Good selection of blades also available

I have the bosch. Is fine but annoyingly doesn't do trench cuts and lately the fence won't stat true (5 years of intermittent use). Considering the hikoki now to save space (but think it has less power).

I have the bosch. Is fine but annoyingly doesn't do trench cuts and lately the fence won't stat true (5 years of intermittent use). Considering the hikoki now to save space (but think it has less power).
Yea, Bosch have a couple of saws with very similar names. The GCM 800 SJ has no trenching, no expandable sides for material support, and no laser or shadow light. Whereas the GCM 8 SJL has all three of those, and a stopper to set the compound to standard angles.

The 800 SJ can be found for £230
The 8 SJL is £330+

Which makes the Makita look like amazing value, as it has all 3 of those features + great quality + blade.

The Hikoki has the advantage of being 50 quid cheaper, and front facing rails, but a few more review comment on the build quality and accuracy. Plus I’ve read it’s laser is always moving, and the supplied blade should be replaced straight away, whereas Makita make good blades.

I really don’t know why they don’t make all mitre saws with ridged front facing rails? Anyone have a clue? It seems the more budget ones like Hikoki, Metabo, Hyundai, and Evolution manage it, but Bosch, Makita and Dewalt save it for their higher end or larger saws. So either the big brands know that to keep accuracy you need sliding rear rails on the budget options, or they save it as a feature to use to the higher end models to encourage you to spend more.

For now, although rear rails would be nice, I’m not tight on space so I’m gonna go with the Makita LS0816F. I might even hold off till Black Friday and make do with my circular saw till then.

What is 'trenching'? An in word for housing? A flat dado cut? How I used to grow celery? What makes a saw capable of trenching?

O tempora, o mores!

I must get out more....

Latest posts

Back