Small Bandsaw for Beginner - Which to look at?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was given some very sage advice on here when I was looking for a Fretsaw and now own a rather old, but trusty hegner.

I am now back with another question. Band saws. The last time I used one was when I was about 16yrs old in school. So my knowledge is basic on their operation/setup etc.
But enough to know it is the tool I need.

I want a bandsaw for working 90% of the time with 6mm MDF, which I use for making models and Wargames scenery from. Occasionally it will be used for 12mm ply or 45mm thick pine/softwood.

I want to be able to make accurate parallel cuts in widths up to about 30mm width.

I don’t have workbench space to sit a desk top, so need one with a stand.
It has to be not too large, in size, as I don’t want taking up all my garage space.

So far I have been looking at the Axminster AWSBS2.
I would like to keep my budget down to the £200 mark as this part of my hobby and not my living. Just cutting 6mm mdf by hand saw is slow work. I want to be able to cut the major outlines on the bandsaw and then complete the more intricate cuts on my hegner.

So firstly is the AWSBS2 any good for the type of lighter work I am looking at? And secondly are there any other reasonably priced alternatives I have not spotted yet?

As ever views and opinions greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

John

Hi John

I used to have that Axminster saw and very good it was too, it will do all that you want to as described and should you need to cut bigger pieces of hardwood then it will happily do those as well. As long as you have a good blade it will go through most things without too much fuss.

They occasionally come up on ebay second hand, I sold mine on here for about 100 quid, so if you're prepared to look and wait you may get one cheaper that has seen some service

Cheers

Damian

I can put another vote in for the AWSBS2.

There's quite a bit to get your head around with regards initial setup and blade changing but nothing too complicated. Mine has happily munched through some 3" Beech without stopping for breath so 6mm MDF will be a doddle.

Just make sure you get a new blade for it ASAP. The one mine came with was bent at the weld join which threw the tracking off. I've had 2 new blades from Axminster (their Axcalibur range)which have performed brilliantly.

Axminster also have what i can honestly describe as the best customer service standard of any business I've dealt with.

Hi John,

Another vote for the AWSBS2 from me, I've had mine for a couple of years and the only problem I had was the tyre on the lower wheel kept coming away from the wheel, this happened out of warranty, spoke to Axminster about it who told me that there had been a bad batch. I fixed this problem by using contact adhesive and since then I've had no problems. I think this was an isolated incident and don't let it put you off buying it. I also use axcaliber blades on it

Steve

Cheers guys, nice to know there are users out there who are happy with it.
Any tips on setup?

Are there any decent books on basic bandsaw setup/operation for a starter such as my self?

The main tip from me would be to make sure all the blade guide rollers are loosened and slid fully away from the blade (side and rear, upper and lower guides) when you're tracking the blade.

I spent ages trying to get my blade to track properly only to find I'd left the rear (thrust) bearing guides in their original positions. The more I adjusted the tracking knob, the more I was pushing the blade against the bearing. :roll: Made a hell of a racket!

If you hear any squeeling once the blade is running true, check to see if any of the guides are spinning with the blade. They should be stood just off from the blade when it's not under load. I've found that a folded over post-it note between the blade and the each guide gives a good separation.

Also, the AWSBS2 comes with the handy floor standing cabinet. When you're assembling this, only go finger tight on the small nuts and bolts. Some of the panels look very similar but can only go in one way. I had to take mine apart and reassemble it a few times before I got it right. :evil: Once you're all set, go ahead and tighten them up fully.

Oh, one more: Make sure the drive belt that connects the motor to the lower wheel is nice and tight. I think mine had come loose (motor mount bolts must have come loose) and I didn't check it. Bandsaw made all sorts of 'agricultural' noises before I figured out what it was.

Hope that helps.

I've just bought one and it has been a revelation. suddenly finding myself doing all sorts of stuff I wouldn't have done before. Have just planked a small yew log, cut finger joints with the bandsaw, and made a little box. My first piece from log to finished product, very pleased.

Put some trucut blades on it and its been great. Initially had a problem with tracking, rang Axminster, talked to a bandsaw person and had it working in no time. Gets my vote.

Toby

For a beginner's book, I started with The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird. It is American, but it has all the required info in it. I've also seen recommendations for books by Mark Duginske.

Good luck
Boz

Segovia, the metabo looks nice, but looking at the prices its too far out of my price range I am willing to spend right now.

Boz62, that book sounds pretty good thankyou.
I will try and pick up a copy. When I was looking for my scroll saw, I borrowed a couple of books from my library which were great as well as got some top advice from this forum.

Many thanks again.

Segovia, even at £280..,it is more than I really wish to spend simply.
The axminster fits into my budget leaving my some cash spare to purchase some spare blades.

Hi Goose

I see what you mean, I have a similar dilemma choosing a Table Saw.

I had a choice between the 317 and the next model up and I keep having the nagging feeling that I should of put in a bit extra and gone for the bigger model.

John

I can see your point and I have been trying to list in my head the types of work I invisage I will be doing with the saw, to ensure I get the one adequate for my needs.
At the moment, it will be mainly used for work with 6mm and occasional 12mm mdf, some 14mm ply sheets.
The rest of the time it will be used for sectioning up wood from our trees to rounds suitable to be split by a hand axe.
I am hoping to possibley extend my budget a little, depending on a few bits of extra work i might have this week, so might look at the Axminster AWBS. It looks close in spec to the Metabo 317.
The AWBS seems to be a bit cheaper, with the 317s I have been able to find coming in around £340, where as the AWBS is £290.00.

I also managed to get a copy of the "The Bandsaw Book" a very good reference book it is too. Well written and easy to understand. I wish more technical books were as well presented.

I've had the AWSBS2 for a number of years. It performed very well. Then, after a bandsaw setting masterclass from Steve Maskery i turned my attention to properly fettling it. After a few judicious filings and enlarging of holes, it now performs exceptionally well (with a decent blade) and i can easily cut a 1/32" veneer off a 2" piece of oak.

Latest posts

Back