Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of these, replacements for an old vehicle. Only the hubs were reusable, which I’ve taken back to bare wood and made good.
Ready for the tyres now, then off to the painters

I believe the traditional woods for the hub, spokes and rim are respectively elm to resist the splitting forces at the hub, oak because of its strength under compression and ash for its springiness that will give a modicum of suspension. Are they the woods you have used? I too would like to see the tyre being put on.
A traditional craft slowly being lost, so sad. However you've made a fantastic job.
Martin

An Oak table, nice straightforward job, it's a bit Rag 'n' Bone Brown so something different for me.

Customer is having a new kitchen and asked if I could use the the old Oak top from the island and some Oak from a surround that was taken down to make a table.

What we started with

Oak table 1.jpg

There were already 2 legs but I had to make 2 more

Oak table 2.jpg

Used dominoes to fix it together

Oak table 3.jpg

I was just going to use metal worktop type brackets to fasten the top on but customer wanted buttons, Domino is great for cutting mortices for these

Oak table 5.jpg

All done, unfortunately didn't get a photo of it the right way up 🙄

Oak table 6.jpg

Nice fun little job and always good to repurpose stuff 👍

An Oak table, nice straightforward job, it's a bit Rag 'n' Bone Brown so something different for me.

Customer is having a new kitchen and asked if I could use the the old Oak top from the island and some Oak from a surround that was taken down to make a table.

What we started with

View attachment 181392

There were already 2 legs but I had to make 2 more

View attachment 181393

Used dominoes to fix it together

View attachment 181394

I was just going to use metal worktop type brackets to fasten the top on but customer wanted buttons, Domino is great for cutting mortices for these

View attachment 181395

View attachment 181396

Nice fun little job and always good to repurpose stuff 👍
Great job Doug ! are you putting a finish on it or leaving it for your client to do?

It's DEAD!!!! You've killed it. 😰😰😰😭😭😭

Some success with my CNC, for anyone who
has been following that.

Cutting brass end plates for my “next generation” of moulding planes went well.

IMG_4883.jpeg

Engraving them will require more work though - several snapped bits.

Most importantly, I have it cutting O1 for plane irons. Frankly I didn’t think it would work at all without significant modification.

It took 20 mins but that’s very much quicker than the miserable job it is using my previous tools. Basically for a pair of moulding plane irons I have set aside a morning.

It didn’t quite make it through for various reasons but it is so close that light can be seen. That’s good enough for me. Massive success. Movie at the end.

IMG_4880.jpeg
IMG_4882.jpeg
IMG_4881.jpeg

Great job Doug ! are you putting a finish on it or leaving it for your client to do?

I try to avoid the finishing side of things so the client or their decorator will be doing it, think it might be getting stained quite dark or maybe just the top stained and the bottom painted.

Very nice indeed. I really like how that neck blends in.
Been thinking on having a go at a bass for a long time now. Whose hardware and pickup did you use.
Regards
John

Thanks. The hardware is made by Hipshot. It's an 'A style' aluminum bridge and the tuners are the USA made Hipshot Ultralites. I wound the pickup myself.. it's a split-coil design with Alnico 3 magnets.

Another nice easy job, display cart for the local deli.

Love jobs like this, no fixed sizes and no fine joinery. I just make it up as I go along using up off cuts that aren't good enough for the kind of stuff I normally do.

Used up some nice quality Whitewood

veg cart 4.jpg

Think we achieved the slightly rustic look.

veg cart 1.jpg

I treated it with some Eco preserver, it's like a powder that you mix with water which makes the wood go grey and weathered looking in just a few weeks. I've used it on softwood posts before and it worked well but I didn't like what it did to some Oak on the cart, it turned bright blue, guess something to do with the Tannins.

veg cart 2.jpg

Here's the joiners trestle. Not something I'll be keeping because it's just another task on the course but working out the 3 differently rotated crosses felt like it was giving my brain a hernia. More practice finishing which I got horribly wrong on this but the glue ups have improved
1000021842.jpg
1000021840.jpg
1000021811.jpg
1000021817.jpg
1000021824.jpg

Attachments

• 1000021807.jpg
    1000021807.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000021853.jpg
    1000021853.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0