New House, New Workshop Build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been a while since I last posted about my workshop build. A lot has been happening that’s caused me to not be focused on it including the losing after a short illness my closest friend, mentor and truly loved father.
With the massive help of @Sideways and another close friend and my youngest son I've now emptied my old workshop into storage😢. The plan originally was for the new workshop to be finished and just one move necessary….but why do a fun job just once when you can do it twice! 😭.
So, yesterday I finally handed over the keys to the new owner and waved it a very fond farewell. There is something very sad about emptying a building. Here it is for the very last time.

IMG_3735.jpeg
IMG_3734.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and whilst going through a move as well so hard times but hopefully brighter ahead. What were you doing that required such a large workshop or was a lot for storing your restoration machines, you could have done some traction engines in there !

I clicked like on the post above but it doesn't feel quite right given your sad news. Hopefully you are not too far away from being back up and running in your new workshop.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and whilst going through a move as well so hard times but hopefully brighter ahead. What were you doing that required such a large workshop or was a lot for storing your restoration machines, you could have done some traction engines in there !
Well, just hobby stuff! But I managed to fill it with machines and wanted more room! I think you just grow into what ever space you have available.😂😂🥴

The ‘old’ workshop was £10K seven years ago to buy. Thats the structure, insulated cladding including insulated roof lights, electric insulated roller shutter door and pedestrian door, the purlins were steel and everything was galvanised. That didn’t cover the concrete base or its erection.

The new workshop is slightly smaller and not the most ideal shape for what I want to do within it, but it’s right next to the house, so needed to be aesthetically sympathetic to my wifeys needs😂

Last edited:
The floor is starting to go down. It’s DPM over the concrete pad, followed by thick insulation rated to take the weight of the machines I plan to accommodate and then a layer of radon gas membrane. The floor insulation interlocks. Over this will be the under floor heating (yep, I plan on working in a nice cosy environment) and then 75mm of screed before a resin floor. The walls will not be plastered, just painted white. The UFH is hopefully being installed next week. It will run of air source.

IMG_3738.jpeg

The workshop is getting a little closer to finish. The UFH piping has now been I installed and pressurised ready for the screed. The pipework has been divided into five areas so that internal walls could be added at a later stage to create temperature controlled rooms.

IMG_3747.jpeg

IMG_3748.jpeg

Oh my golly gosh Deema, I thought my Workshop was the apple of my eye but that takes the biscuit and the cracker and what a cracker it is, having seen what you do with big heavy bits of equipment I have nothing but pleasure for you in your achievement, Well done and what a pleasure it will be for you to move in. Enjoy.
Ian

I know I'm a bit late to the game and not having gone through the last 9 pages of posts, I might be asking something that's already been asked.

Unfloor heating, with I assume machinery on top? Is it a good idea?

Vibrations... wood falling et al?

I have a feeling this is going to be a silly question but... I'm probably going to go through the same thing and thought I'd ask.

The insulation and screed have been selected to allow 3 tonne machines to be rolled over it / stood on top if it without damaging the floor. Insulation and screed material has a specified load and flex loading / mm2. I’ve specified it at a minimum of 300N or circa 30kg. So a 10x10mm square can take 3000KG
The screed needs 50mm over the pipes, the pipes are 16mm and the screed 75mm thick.

Last edited:
The insulation and screed have been selected to allow 3 tonne machines to be rolled over it / stood on top if it without damaging the floor. Insulation and screed material has a specified load and flex loading / mm2. I’ve specified it at a minimum of 300N or circa 30kg. To a 10x10mm square can take 3000KG
The screed needs 50mm over the pipes, the pipes are 16mm and the screed 75mm thick.
I'll get back in my box :)

Looks amazing!

@JohnerH Get right out of your box, 😜 any question is always welcome and might highlight something not considered.
This is a once in a lifetime build, with the justification that it will (hopefully, and what I’m telling my very loving and accommodating wife) add more value to the house than the cost to build it. It was funny, my workshop was one of the main selling features everyone who came to look wanted when we sold before moving here.

There will be a ‘resin’ floor to go over the screed which will be ‘industrial’ 3mm thick. That should be sufficient to last a few generations before getting worn off. The main reason for the ‘resin’ is to ensure that any oil / hydraulic fluid doesn’t end up soaking into the floor and possibly attacking the UFH pipes as well as creating a ‘petroleum’ smell for ever if it ever gets turned into additional accommodation…..which is I believe highly likely when we dust 👻 and the property is somebody else’s

Last edited:
The ‘resin’ floor is next, I say resin as this is the ‘typical’ term for a range of floors. Ive selected a polyurethane floor, with a mat finish. There are a number of different resins to choose from which are suited for different applications, and they vary in price. The preparation for all of them is ‘very’ similar and usually involves abrading the screed surface to get rid of the ‘dusty loosely stuck’ stuff that raises to the surface as it’s trowelled. I had difficulty finding a suitable screed / resin combination, as they have to be chemically compatible and some screeds are harder and need more abrading before the resin goes on. My experience was very few resin coating company’s were interested in my small project.

A friend of mine a couple of years ago had a resin floor installed. He opted for another product that is more like a paint in thickness. The stuff is used in Airbus, so should be robust. However after moving his machines in he has found it’s scratched through and he now needs to patch it back up. For this reason I wanted something thick as I only want to do it once.

The floor coating I’ve chosen is vebrores PU SL HD.

The reasons are multiple, firstly it’s ideal for hard use industrial environments and resistant to petrochemicals. However it’s also suitable for food preparation, coping with bleach and cleaning products. Why food product compatibility? Well, it’s all about future proofing. The area is large enough to run a company out of, so it just opens up more potential uses for the building. It’s a little more cost than another product, but in the scheme of things, not significant.

https://vebropolymers.com/solutions/vebrores/vebrores-pu-sl-hd/

It’s also nice to buy something that British, and made near Manchester, so fairly local to me.

Last edited:
The reasons are multiple, firstly it’s ideal for hard use industrial environments and resistant to petrochemicals. However it’s also suitable for food preparation, coping with bleach and cleaning products. Why food product compatibility? Well, it’s all about future proofing. The area is large enough to run a company out of, so it just opens up more potential uses for the building. It’s a little more cost than another product, but in the scheme of things, not significant.
This is always the mentality I go with when doing anything, whether it a build or restauration!

It’s also nice to buy something that British, and made near Manchester, so fairly local to me.
Interesting... I be in Manchester also... Might have to consider this for the outhouse when determining the floor to put the Wadkins on.

Damn you! Something tells me my wife ain't gonna like me (or you) when I approach her with this alternative floor.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ve looked into it and it might not be suitable of course. With you mentioning food safe I got to thinking of the food factories in Grimsby with heavy equipment and fork lift trucks on the floors. They use a fibreglass type resin on the floors.
Ian
https://grf.co.uk/

Back