Wrought iron table clamp,what is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herb

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I purchased two wrought iron table clamps from a car boot but I can't work out what their purpose is. I saw a post entitled Identity my Clamp here and thought this could be the place I can find an answer!
The ball on the top has a groove and there is a curve piece of metal on the back of the upright that seems like a finger rest. Thank you

Attachments

• 20240721_220419.jpg
    20240721_220419.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi looking at the clamp I would hazard a guess and say they look both hand made and perhaps for a specific work piece, perhaps as a decorative element. It could be 1 of 4 coffee table legs with the ball attached to the underside of the table and the head of the clamp on the floor. The purpose of the threaded clamp could be for levelling purposes.

I purchased two wrought iron table clamps

Count the number of twists along its length. If there is one too many, it will be overwrought iron.

The table tennis net holder is a good observation. If that is their purpose, they were not made by someone who understands how forces are transferred. When clamped to a table, the clamping force will just bend the wire (open up the lower C-shape). The tension from the net will also just bend the wire.

Back