Where to buy beams in Surrey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm redoing the front porch and i'm in need of some wood pillars

Looking for some heavy timber beams 200mm by 200mm

Who in surrey supplies those - at a reasonable price. Pine is fine as they are going to be painted.

Mcluma":2tf0i9ez said:
I'm redoing the front porch and i'm in need of some wood pillars

Looking for some heavy timber beams 200mm by 200mm

Who in surrey supplies those - at a reasonable price. Pine is fine as they are going to be painted.

Why not "laminate" a pair of 8"x4"'s which must be more readily available?

I have done that before when building my carport, to make 150mm by 150mm beams

but the preparation for this is quite cumbersome, so i was looking for a quicker way

Mcluma":3s54uxtj said:
I have done that before when building my carport, to make 150mm by 150mm beams

but the preparation for this is quite cumbersome, so i was looking for a quicker way

I see what you mean. Just re-read your post - 8"x8"? That sound's like a monster porch. I would have thought 4"x4"'s would have been enough or maybe 6"x6" max.

Why 8"x8"'s - sorry it doesn't answer your questions. :oops:

Dibs

Chris have you tried looking on the Timber Merchants map? Might be worth a ring around. Apologies if you've already done this.

I will be honest, I have not looked arround, I was hoping somebody would direct me into the right direction

I normally buy the off the shelf timbers, I understand this is a more specific timbersize, which probably have to come from a mill directly

Hi

Only place that springs to mind is Honeysuckle Bottom sawmill near Horsley. I've had 8x8 oak from them, not sure if they do pine or not.

Mark

If you can come just into kent then I have used Scott Timber a lot for green oak and he will also saw larch to size though it may not be as dry as you would want for painting.

http://www.scottimber.co.uk/

The other option would be to make a box with either two 8x2 & two 4x2 timber or four 6x2s

Jason

If you are going to paint them anyway, wouldn't it be much cheaper to make them up as a box from 4 x 8"x1"?
Using biscuits or dominos to align the pieces it should be fine.

Si.

knappers":216027ox said:
If you are going to paint them anyway, wouldn't it be much cheaper to make them up as a box from 4 x 8"x1"?
Using biscuits or dominos to align the pieces it should be fine.

Si.

That could be a solution, I have enough 150*50 laying arround, and as you said if i paint them i could easily fill the screw holes

thanks for point that one out

The worry part of solid 200 by 200 is indeed the cracks

Latest posts

Back