What wood for beehives UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran99

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to build a beehive that is suitable for uk conditions. I'm wondering what wood would be the best option and also what finishing is necessary to make the hive withstand the uk conditions. Also any recommendations on particular hive designs would be greatly appreciated as I'm coming from a place of little experience.

Thanks for any replies!

Are there any beekeepers or groups near you? Speak to them as they will know what works well in your area. If you look on FB marketplace you'll find people selling honey so you could always buy some and speak to them, I've found most beekeepers are keen for others to get involved.

I would have said that National is what you want. The Nuke will come in national frames and you can’t put them in WBC as they are use longer frames and the bees like to fill up any gaps.

You can make them out of anything, they don’t care. If you paint the outside, you need to leave it about 6 months empty outside to ensure that any vapours / smell has dissipated.

When I did it, I looked at making a hive or three, but it was cheaper to just buy the boxes you need and build them up. I wouldn’t buy secondhand unless it’s from a beekeeper you know. Too many have had diseased colonies that could be passed on. Nukes are far too expensive to loose!

Yes, the local conditions matter. I haven't kept bees for a long while (since a sting nearly killed me) but I was advised by experienced beekeepers around here to get WBCs as they were thought the best for our weather. I suspect there are better modern designs now, though.

Definitely National, larch or other softwood and you can also paint the outside with white Superdec if you want a slightly more trad look. I also used to make my roofs pitched and with a nice bit of zinc on top, mostly for looks. Never used WBC, but seems like a load more hassle for no big gain apart from looking the part.

Western Red Cedar every time, yes it’s expensive but will last, I have boxes that are getting on for 50 years old and still going strong. I agree with Deema, National is what you want, WBCs look nice in the garden and are a pain to work. Much easier to split colonies in Nats to control swarms and you don’t have the extra others to remove and put somewhere. I will disagree with Deema in that Nat frames will fit WBC, just 10 per box not 11. This means that WBCs can be a bit restrictive for strong colonies.

One other thing, I have never been very keen on treating beehives with preservative. Might be a bit over cautious but bees have enough challenges (insecticides, mites, reducing nectar sources etc.) without chemicals on their hives. That said I do have some boxes (cedar again) with painted outsides.

Sorry I was just being daft. I didn't know what they meant and was curious about your story(sounds scary)
Nationals and WBCs (William Broughton Carr) are types of hive - the WBC is one you see in old country cottage pictures. A nuke is a nucleus, used to start a new colony.https://www.google.com/search?q=bee+nucleus+for+sale&rlz=1C1VDKB_enGB1049GB1049&oq=bee+nuke&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCQgEEAAYChiABDIGCAAQRRg5MgkIARAAGAoYgAQyCQgCEAAYChiABDIJCAMQABgKGIAEMgkIBBAAGAoYgAQyCQgFEAAYChiABDIJCAYQABgKGIAEMgkIBxAAGAoYgAQyCQgIEAAYChiABDIJCAkQABgKGIAE0gEJMTA1NzlqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I went into anaphylactic shock from a sting (from one of my own bees). It's not uncommon amongst beekeepers and can happen after many years of not having a problem.

Been keeping bees since I was 12, now I'm 66 and still learning.

I certainly wouldn't go WBC - they are a complete pain to work with and although they look cute, I would never use one unless you are in the north of Scotland or similar. They are a double walled hive with an external shell (called "lifts") and internal boxes. They were designed back in the late 1800s for harsh winters we no longer have so you could pack straw between the outer and inner layers. There is absolutely no need for this in 99.9% of the UK. We have a couple of WBCs in our training apiary mainly to show new beekeepers why they should never consider a WBC.

I would stick with BS National designs as the equipment is far cheaper than other designs as it's by far the most popular on the UK for non commercial bee keepers.

I would however strongly recommend using either a "Commercial" or "Deep National" brood box.

The standard National brood box (and all the other older styles of brood boxes) were designed for a type of bee that we really don't have in the UK any more. The standard modern queens are far more fecund and lay around 2,000+ eggs a day in the height of the season with a colony size of 50,000+, far more that the bees we used to have. The older style small brood boxes rapidly get overcrowded which can lead to a host of issues, e.g. more frequent swarming. Deep national and Commercial boxes have much larger brood box volume which is better suited to modern bees, whilst still having the same cross-section (approx 46cm x 46cm) as the common BS National kit, so floors, queen excluders, supers (honey boxes), crown boards and roofs are available from loads of suppliers and relatively cheap due to competition. To get more space, some folk use a standard national brood box together with a super as the brood area, referred to as "brood-and-a-half" - do NOT be tempted to go this route - it's not only a poor compromise , it's a major pain as you never know where the queen is - just go for a single bigger brood box in the first place!

Also go for a flat roof, not a pointy one. With a flat roof you can put a lump of rock on it in the winter to keep the hive safe, plus, and most importantly, when going through a hive you take the roof off and invert it on the ground so it can be used as a stand for each bit as you take them off. Pointy roofs look pretty but are impractical.

If you can afford it, 100% go for Western Red Cedar. I have WRC hives that I made up 20 or 30 years ago and which are still in good condition. You can either leave them to go silver and weather naturally, or some folk use a water-based external finish such as Rustin's, which is bee-safe. All my hives are 100% WRC.

I've tried making my own hives - it's doable and satisfying, but largely pointless as you can buy decent flat pack ones for much the same money and far less hassle. The commercial suppliers have the advantage of buying cedar by the container load at pricing which individuals can't compete with. I now only repair my hives with bits of cedar which is increasingly difficult to find.

Last edited:
I recently saw some hives that automatically collect the honey without the need to open it up. I don't think I'd use them but was interesting to see. You just twist a lever and it breaks the honeycomb and the honey runs out of a tap. And then it gets reset to collect more honey.

It was an interesting idea but I think if you are going to keep bees you need to get in there to make sure it's healthy and working correctly.

I recently saw some hives that automatically collect the honey without the need to open it up. I don't think I'd use them but was interesting to see. You just twist a lever and it breaks the honeycomb and the honey runs out of a tap. And then it gets reset to collect more honey.

It was an interesting idea but I think if you are going to keep bees you need to get in there to make sure it's healthy and working correctly.
FlowHive. Avoid.

(Very) Expensive gimmick. Can't be sterilised. Poor hygiene. Non standard frames, locked in ecosystem etc. Don't go there.

Keeping bees is livestock management. It requires care, attention to detail, time and effort.

With our warming and wetter climate, diseases that were rare 20 or 30 years ago, e.g. EFB, are becoming much more common.

Apiary hygiene is vital for the health and wellbeing of your bees. Plus the beekeeper is the primary vector for disease introduction, so simple things like never using leather gloves (use long cuff nitrile or similar), sterilising tools and washing gloves between hives, washing your suit regularly etc. are increasingly important.

As in most things, gimmicks are best avoided.

Last edited:
Been keeping bees since I was 12, now I'm 66 and still learning.

I certainly wouldn't go WBC - they are a complete pain to work with and although they look cute, I would never use one unless you are in the north of Scotland or similar.
We're in West Cornwall so get persistent rain and gales, so that's why the advice I was given was given. As I said it was a while ago.

We're in West Cornwall so get persistent rain and gales, so that's why the advice I was given was given. As I said it was a while ago.
A WBC won't protect you against gales - on the contrary, as it's not got a flat roof you can't stick lumps of paving slab or similar on them - you have to strap them down to something solid which is yet another pain. Exposed hives around here without rocks on them were blown over in storm Eunice a couple of years ago.

The argument about only WBCs preventing ingress of driven rain is another fallacy - the bees happily propolyse any cracks in nationals. The only concession I would make is maybe using a "deep" (6") roof rather than the more common 4" ones, especially if there's a feeder on the crown board.

You don't get hard cold winters in the west country, ergo the only (tenuous) selling point of the WBC is, IMHO, void.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back