Water Based spray paints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meccarroll

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I am spraying some kitchen cabinet doors using Renner YL---M641/-- Base Coat and Renner YO XXM760/__XXX topcoat.

This is the first time I have used water based spray coatings as I normally use Acid Catalyzed spray paint which is normally touch dry in 5-10 minutes and I am able to turn a panel ane spray the opposite side in about 20-30 minutes.

The water based paint is taking a least a couple of hours before it is remotly touch dry and I don't think I'd attempt to re spray the same day unlike acid catalysed which can have two or three coas in one day.

Has anyone used water based spray paints and if so do you have any recomendations?

I have so far only sprayed the Renner basecoat and will be moving on to the topcoat next week. I have an area sectioned off and sheeted up with a filtered extractor and space heating.

The spray equipment I have is Compressor and FLG-5 spray gun but I'm using a 4 stage HVLP system with a HVLP gun at the moment which seems to be giving very little overspray.

Any advice using the water based paints will be much appreciated.

I have had similar experience with the drying times using morrells water bourne laquers though maybe not as long as you are experiencing. I could get 2 coats a day. The omnia joinery coatings actually dry quicker than the laquers. Tried Teknos stuff but it was very orange peely, fairly quick to dry though.
I use a kremlin air assisted airless.
Water based stuff just doesn`t flash off in the same way as acid cat or even pre cat, some solvent based polyurethanes are closer but quite toxic as well.

Temperature is important but I think air flow is possibly more important for the drying process, I put a large additional fan inside the booth and turn it on after spraying in order to ensure air flow. This can be problematic if there is any dust of course as it will blow it around, but in a decently dust free area it is worth doing.
It is a bit sneaky as well, you think its dry then stack it too quickly and you find they are stuck together (blocking)

I have not done anything that needed laquer spraying lately but I may look into some kind of UV curing stuff to try and replicate the quick cure of the acid cat, nothing I have found flashes off and flattens itself like proper acid cat laquer but I just don`t like the nasty chemicals if I can avoid them.

I have had similar experience with the drying times using morrells water bourne laquers though maybe not as long as you are experiencing. I could get 2 coats a day. The omnia joinery coatings actually dry quicker than the laquers. Tried Teknos stuff but it was very orange peely, fairly quick to dry though.
I use a kremlin air assisted airless.
Water based stuff just doesn`t flash off in the same way as acid cat or even pre cat, some solvent based polyurethanes are closer but quite toxic as well.

Temperature is important but I think air flow is possibly more important for the drying process, I put a large additional fan inside the booth and turn it on after spraying in order to ensure air flow. This can be problematic if there is any dust of course as it will blow it around, but in a decently dust free area it is worth doing.
It is a bit sneaky as well, you think its dry then stack it too quickly and you find they are stuck together (blocking)

I have not done anything that needed laquer spraying lately but I may look into some kind of UV curing stuff to try and replicate the quick cure of the acid cat, nothing I have found flashes off and flattens itself like proper acid cat laquer but I just don`t like the nasty chemicals if I can avoid them.
Thank you for the information.

Yes the chemicals in acid catalyzed paint is partly why I'm trying water based spray paint. I did not use my space heating to start with but am now and I find the paint is drying quicker but still slow. So far I like the water based paint it seems easy enough to spray and seems a nice friendly option, it's just the drying time is long which gives too much time for dust etc to settle.

Today I found this: https://holmanpaints.co.uk/interior...l.html#/1873-size-5l/2063-finish-25_semi_matt
It is a PU paint which is supposed to be a safer option. I'd be interestd to hear what you think.

And thank you for the tip about air circulation regarding water based paints.

Mark

Thank you for the information.

Yes the chemicals in acid catalyzed paint is partly why I'm trying water based spray paint. I did not use my space heating to start with but am now and I find the paint is drying quicker but still slow. So far I like the water based paint it seems easy enough to spray and seems a nice friendly option, it's just the drying time is long which gives too much time for dust etc to settle.

Today I found this: https://holmanpaints.co.uk/interior...l.html#/1873-size-5l/2063-finish-25_semi_matt
It is a PU paint which is supposed to be a safer option. I'd be interestd to hear what you think.

And thank you for the tip about air circulation regarding water based paints.

Mark
Hi Mark

I suggest if Holmans are selling it then it will be good stuff, they are just down the road from me, I am probably in there once a month. I always buy my Tikurilla primer from them and they will always find a product to solve any wierd paint situation I am having, they are very knowledgable and don`t sell rubbish.

I remember a while ago they made me some spray cans up in a polyurethane system and that was very good and hardwearing, might be the same stuff.

Hi Mark

I suggest if Holmans are selling it then it will be good stuff, they are just down the road from me, I am probably in there once a month. I always buy my Tikurilla primer from them and they will always find a product to solve any wierd paint situation I am having, they are very knowledgable and don`t sell rubbish.

I remember a while ago they made me some spray cans up in a polyurethane system and that was very good and hardwearing, might be the same stuff.
Ok thank you for that, it's that the PU they are selling is supposed to be a relatively safe version and fairly fast drying so might be my next try. Not saying I don't like Renners Water Based but it dries slow and something that wears well and dries fairly quick would be better for my setup.

Thank you Ollie...much appreciated.

Back