treated cladding on shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJuicer1

Reaction score
I am about to start my shed build after taking down a greenhouse so am building it on the 1 course of blocks thats there, 1.9x2.1m. i can get treated cladding boards at the builders nerchant, which I assume is tanalised.... should I treat the wood with what I was going to use if I was just using whitewood that was untreated, barrettine wood protective treatment or leave it as it is?

I am about to start my shed build after taking down a greenhouse so am building it on the 1 course of blocks thats there, 1.9x2.1m. i can get treated cladding boards at the builders nerchant, which I assume is tanalised.... should I treat the wood with what I was going to use if I was just using whitewood that was untreated, barrettine wood protective treatment or leave it as it is?
Someone will probably correct me on this, but I would leave tanalised wood alone for the first year or two and treat after that, but don't forget to treat the cut ends as you are doing the build.

tanalised usually costs more, I think untreated redwood pine is just as good painted over, pine can be surprisingly durable with the right paint.

Long chats with assorted wood treatment/preservative companies reminded me that tanalised timber (typically shiplap when used on sidings and roofs) needs to weather for at least 6 months before treating it in any other manner; i.e. further "waterproofing or staining etc..

My neighbours bought a ver nice shed (they had it installed by the suppliers onto a concrete pillars) and used barrettine oil to make it look pretty and also preserve it. I don't think the (shiplap) walls were tanalised.The oil treatment is best refreshed every two/three years or so by all accounts.

Also whilst concrete pillars are cheaper for a shed base, a solid concrete base is better. It deters rodents etc. as they may otherwise decide to move into the free space below the elevated shed base?

Latest posts

Back