Timber choice for humid/damp utility space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miguel_s

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm hoping to build a belfast sink unit in my victorian ground floor utility/kitchen space. It would be sitting directly on unsealed brick flooring (the surface of which can usually be a little damp to the touch), and the humidity can usually be around 70-85% in that part of the room (although I'm now taking steps to increase ventilation and heating to a stable temperature)

My question is - what kind of timber should I choose for something like the image below? I'm trying to be as economic as possible while avoiding anything that won't rot/have moisture related issues within the next several years.

It doesn't have to look super pretty as it'll probably have a cafe skirt covering most of it, or a face frame. So either sealing treatment/paint is fine, whichever helps avoid most issues.

I see furniturenation for example are quite happy to sell sink units in redwood pine - would that hold up well enough in my conditions? Or would I need to go all the way to something like Oak.

Appreciate any pointers!

Cheers

Screenshot_8.jpg

oak would be ideal, just increase ventilation, pine is okay, but I'd probably paint it with a high quality paint, which after you've worked out all the extra costs might end up costing as much as getting oak, not to mention the extra labour.

Back