Thin drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zak99

Established Member
Reaction score
Fitting a wee fridge in our camper van but left with a space above and beside. It’s a narrow space but space in van is precious so would like to fit horizontal and vertical drawers. I’ve done plenty of boat hull woodwork etc but little cabinet work.

What wood, runners, construction would be the best way forward please?. Not overly bothered about matching existing finish, maybe go for a contrasting finish.

12mm beech ply ? For both dividers and drawers.

Horizontal drawer all the way across or just width of fridge? Two vertical drawers or one. Maybe it’s too narrow for vertical drawer? under 100mm from memory, I’ll go measure.

Apols for vagueness and thinking out loud.
IMG_5989.jpeg

I am guessing there is only space for one decent horizontal door - you could fit 2 very shallow drawers which may end up being a constraint in that they cannot be used for larger items.

Fitting a lift out tray to part of a deeper drawer may be the best option.

The vertical space may be better used if dimensioned to fit specific items rather than general drawers - eg: wine bottles or possibly soft drinks/squashes, kitchen utensils (eg: potato masher, ladle etc), place mats, frying pan etc..

It's the vertical space I see as being most troublesome, it's too narrow for drawers of any useful size and you would lose a good portion of the space with drawer sides and support even with 4mm ply let alone 12mm. My initial thought is general "leaning space" for flat items, in a general kitchen for things like baking trays, but not sure how much call there is for such items in a camping van where meals are of a simpler nature.

The other option is hanging space, things that in a regular kitchen you would usually hang on a wall. Either a single sheet on suitable runners with hooks on to hang your utensils, or even just the runner with the hooks mounted on it directly.

I'd suggest a pull out rack for the vertical space, though that depends upon whether you fit a base for the horizontal drawer. . . . . . .

All manner of options for use present themselves once you have a 'rack'.

Have a look at the Häfele Pull Out Storage unit :
https://www.hafele.co.uk/INTERSHOP/...Complete-Hafele-FF-Design-2020&startpage=1.85.

This demands 150mm width but the baskets are only 110mm so you may be able to make a 'door' to suit your space.

Last edited:
A pull-out rolling two shelf unit with a plain front, held in check by a drop down catch? Tall cereal packets etc., would fit. I'm thinking along the lines of Dave above and would try to find a wire basket for the top.

Poop-poop!

Could you buy a second hand set of metal office drawers, and just use the drawers. You would only need simple right angle runners, and some sort of catch to stop them coming open on roundabouts :)

Latest posts

Back