The best portable table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Space is a premium for me, and I don’t need a full blown panel saw, but I would like a high quality portable table saw (site saw, I suppose). Is Festool the way to go, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks
Col

Hi col I’ve got the dewalt 7485 that I’m really pleased with. Rack and pinion adjustment on the fence which is really handy. Noisy mind (as most of the portable ones probably are!)

Cheers
Pete

I have the Festool CSC SYS 50. Very happy with it; compact, quiet, sliding table, good quality and great dust collection. But - small capacity, no fine adjustment on the fence, battery only, and on the pricey side.

I have the Festool CSC SYS 50. Very happy with it; compact, quiet, sliding table, good quality and great dust collection. But - small capacity, no fine adjustment on the fence, battery only, and on the pricey side.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. Corded is fine for me, which gives plenty of options at a bit less cost. I absolutely love my other Festool kit, but I’m not sure I can justify twice the price of a top end dewalt. Is it really twice as good?!

I've also got the DeWalt.Mines trade use and can't fault it at all to be honest.Spot on accuracy wise.Dust extraction is also good.

I've had a Festool CS70 for years and it's fantastic but the price (especially now) is bonkers, albeit it's both a table saw and a mitre saw in one.

The only bad thing about the dewalt 7485 is that the table does seem to sag over the years. Mine is certainly not flat any more.

Well you could always wait a year or two when a certain controversial American company releases European/British versions of their saws with the hotly debated safety feature. Festool also was working on one with that feature that might already be on the market. They are good saws with few complaints although I have to admit not following that class of saw since I have full sized cabinet saws.

Pete

The Festool. https://www.festool.com/products/sawing/table-saw/575781---tks-80-ebs#Overview

Last edited:
The Dewalt 743 flip over saw is a classic design for space saving. We had one for years and it never went wrong, pretty decent rip capacity and a decent mitre saw as a bonus.

Or you could get a Mafell Erika 85 .....

I have had the Hikoki/Hitachi CR10RJ for the last 12 months and so far I can't fault it. It has a decent size table, blade brake and soft start. The attached trolley makes it very easy to move around my shed and when not in use it sits up against the back wall and out of the way. I've used it to resaw/reclaim a fair amount of hardwood from a 120 year old demolished factory and a wharehouse. Dust capture is pretty good hooked to a WAP vac cleaner. It's probably due for a new blade though, but so far so good🤞🏻

Well you could always wait a year or two

Hi Pete, one UK company has already started to advertise it for launching this September ;) How realistic that timescale is I don't know, but I'm fairly sure there is a range on the way which will be good to offer people over here further options within the market. Cheers.

£3000 for a little saw like the Mafell Erika 85 is really daft, are they just trying to show off and say look Festool are not expensive compared to us.

You can buy this Axminster for half of that saw,

1722634026014.png

£3000 for a little saw like the Mafell Erika 85 is really daft, are they just trying to show off and say look Festool are not expensive compared to us.

View attachment 185403
Ha ha, I know it is stupid expensive and wasn`t really suggesting it as a realistic option.
It is nice though, I like the way you can pull the blade for small precise things.
The dewalt flip over is really good for small footprint, has a proper motor and is portable though actually quite heavy.

View attachment 185403

Yeah thats something thats annoying me. Fact Im going to spend probably the cost of that saw for a sawstop
But unfortunately mine is destined for a spare bedroom and theres no chance im going to risk putting 140kg in the middle of the floor along with all the other weighty tools,machines and workbench units

But the thing about the Mafell as you're all aware is the mafell is a site tool. pretty damn difficult pulling a 140kg cast iron panel saw out the back of the van

Latest posts

Back