Soft wood preservatives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintain

Established Member
Reaction score
What is today's affordable preservative that will soak into the wood for soft wood used on garden gates.
I seem to remember using creosote but I think that has been banned a lot of years ago.
I want to fill a bucket and stand the gate parts in it for a couple of days and then paint the preservative all over the remaining surfaces before fitting and gluing all parts together.
I will then use a dark brown coloured paint/preservative to make it all look good.

Regards
Richard

I always used Cuprinol 5 star if going for a non painted surface. If the surfaces were being painted it was green Cuprinol followed by oil based aluminium primer then whatever top coat system you wanted.

Colin

Or try decking oil. I’ve used it with success on an allotment gate that still looks like new after 2 years. It’s only thin stuff, like candle wax dissolved in petrol, you slap it on, it’s absorbed, then the petrol evaporates leaving the wax embedded in the wood.

Back