Sheffield Saw Making - youtube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think @deema may have posted this a couple of days ago. It is interesting, though the presenter was relentlessly "Tiggerlike". There is another video of the factory, on YouTube snowing the process of making a saw. It was a lot more along the lines of "How It's Made". In fact it could well be an episode of that show, :unsure:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/thomas-flynn-saw-making.149378/

This is not a good advert for British industry.
Their workshop is a tip. It looks like a shoestring operation that has seen little investment and is is bleeding the last dregs of life out of machines that were innovative and well made a century ago.

I'd love to see the (probably nonexistant) business continuity plan.

It did make me want a nice shiny saw, but I do agree with Sideways about the general scruffyness of the operation. I guess if it works then why change it but its a bit too much like my messy tip of a workshop.....

The one where he went to the scissor manufacturer was interesting as well.

Much more like it.
Ernest Wright is a real success story. A business that was near it's end as the few remaining skilled craftsmen neared retirement was rescued, young employees taken on and traditional skills preserved.
It has similarly old premises but you can instantly see that the place is cared for.

I've one of the T.Flynn small jewellers saws which are pretty cheap at under £30.
Zero set, got it for doing small dovetails, because the zero set follows a cut/scribed line better, and meant i didnt need to refine the cut with a chisel

I have a couple of saws from those makers and while the saws are fine the handles were very poorly shaped so I ended up refining them myself to suit. I remember reading a magazine article about them years ago, perhaps in "Good Woodworking", where they gave a pictorial factory tour with an explanation of the process. The owner showed how the handles were cut and explained that the (rather crude) profiles were as they were because "we are saw makers not handle makers!"- a strange admission I thought at the time!

Apologies if posted already but in case you havent seen this..... Thomas Flynn Saws in Sheffield The presenter is rather perky but the process is wonderful to follow. I really enjpoyed it.

So: they can successfully do what their ancesters in Sheffield did 250 years ago . . . . That's progress!

"we are saw makers not handle makers!"- a strange admission I thought at the time!
It’s a true enough statement, generally years ago they were two separate trades working exclusively in metal or wood entirely operating in different businesses. In Sheffield there were saw makers who made handsaws, and also bandsaws and circular saws generally, and saw handle makers who supplied the saw makers with the handles for their saws, only the bigger operations like Spear and Jackson had their own handle production plant.

"only …… Spear and Jackson had their own handle production plant." ? Yes, and look what a mess they made of it! Modern "post-reDesign" S&J totes are instantly recognisable –– and condemn a saw to instant valuelessness.

Back