Restoring and painting old corrugated "iron" / metal roofing sheets (galvanised)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was donated some "corrugated iron" sheets and have been using them for a couple of years in a makeshift shanty town style array to cover firewood. I want to build proper wood shelters before winter and plan to make use of these sheets. But I'd like to clean them up and protect them as part of the project. It doesn't have to be amazing, the main objective is just to make sure they last as long as possible.

I'm pretty sure the sheets are galvanised. There's some old black paint in them which has blistered, flaked and peeled in places. There's also remnants of an old orangey/rusty coloured paint on them which you might mistake for rust at first glance. That being said, there is some rust in places but they're not too bad overall.

Bitumen paint seems a common choice. What do you guys think to that? Or are there better alternatives? Also, would I need to use a primer or anything else prior to painting? I've read about rust inhibitors, etch primer, and various other things, some of which people say you should use on galvanised, while others say not to. So feeling a bit confused and hoping you guys can put me on the right path.

Many thanks :)

PS - I will be fixing them down properly. Please ignore all the wood and rocks!

IMG_20240822_173616671_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240822_173735298.jpg

IMG_20240822_173756097_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240822_173808713_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240822_173835884_HDR.jpg

Many thanks for the reply (and sorry it's so late!).

Still not done as weather hasn't been kind, but hopefully soon... I think I likely will go for the cheaper bitumen option, but I'm reading conflicting things as to whether a primer is needed for bitumen paint. You say you think it is, what kind of primer would you suggest please?

Anyone else have a view on whether a primer is needed? And/or whether a different paint would be a much better choice?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back