Planer/thicknesser help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBChief

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been looking at buying a bench top planer thicknesser and looking for some advice. I notice that there seem to be 2 main types, I guess the more traditional style such as the SIP 01558, or the lunchbox style like the Dewalt 733. My question is what are the differences between the two types?

I know the lunchbox style has a height limit which as I understand means I wouldn't be able to plane the sides of wider boards but are there any benefits over the "traditional" models?

Thanks,

Joe

The SIP planes and thicknesses while the DeWalt is just a thicknesser. Depends what you want to do.

Normally you use a planer to straighten one face often perpendicular using the fence. This gives a reference surface to thickness too. Depending on what you are doing and the size of timber you are using you may be able to get a straight edge using a table saw for example to straighten an edge and then thickness using just the thicknesser

The SIP planes and thicknesses while the DeWalt is just a thicknesser. Depends what you want to do.

Normally you use a planer to straighten one face often perpendicular using the fence. This gives a reference surface to thickness too. Depending on what you are doing and the size of timber you are using you may be able to get a straight edge using a table saw for example to straighten an edge and then thickness using just the thicknesser
That makes sense, I've only used hand planes so wasn't clear on the difference. I think based on the size of boards I tend to use I'll be better off with the planer thicknesser rather than just a thicknesser. Thanks very much for the response!

If you purchase the benchtop P/T that almost every supplier is selling (Screwfix brand Titan) purchase some ear defenders. The cutter head is a small diameter therefore it needs to spin at high RPM, thus making a horrendous noise.

If you purchase the benchtop P/T that almost every supplier is selling (Screwfix brand Titan) purchase some ear defenders. The cutter head is a small diameter therefore it needs to spin at high RPM, thus making a horrendous noise.

That's a good reminder thanks! Earplugs have been fine for my handheld power tools but I'll definitely need something more substantial now.

I borrowed a toaster/thicknesser once and was surprised how useful it could be. Not as good as planer/thicknesser of course but very small and cheap.
To flatten one side needs a combination of the toaster alternating with hand planing. Once done it goes straight back through for thicknessing.
Everything first cut to cutting-list lengths of course.
A good idea if you haven't got the space or the dosh.
PS height for planing edges less important as they can more easily be done with a hand plane.

Latest posts

Back