Plane restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzpoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I had a post recently where requiring some more hand tools was suggested. I've been looking at planes. I remembered I had an old one knocking about in my dads shed. It must of been there over 30 years. God knows when he got it. It was probably his dad's.
Anyway. Would you mind having a look at the pics. See if it's worth cleaning up and using. I haven't got £100s to spend on a new one and it could be a fun project if it worth doing.
It's doesn't look to bad to me, no cracks or heavy corrosion.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240810_095712758.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240810_095712758.MP.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240810_095726665.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240810_095726665.MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
This appears to be in good condition apart from the rust on the casting. This can easily be got rid of with emery cloth ,or silicone carbide wet and-dry. The paint looks in good nick, so a quick brushing out, of the dust and a wipe over with white spirit should suffice.

Most of the surface rust can be removed by scraping with a stanley knife blade in a holder with no loss of material

That is an old but not ancient plane (I'd say just post WW2). Needs a good clean up (but you know that) - stiff paint brush with a degreaser (paraffin) on the metal parts and leave to dry. Try not to move the 'Frog' adjusting screw if you haven't as yet. The wooden parts a light rub down with steel wool, just to clean not strip followed by a polish with beeswax, not silicon furniture polish - or gun oil. Silicon will cause problems when gluing or finishing timber.

Get a piece of MDF at least 22mm thick (or a sheet of plate glass) at least 3 times the length of the plane sole, stick a piece 120 grit abrasive to that. With the handles and the Frog back on the plane body using a planing action clean the sole on that to clean the rust off. When the sole is clear of the worst of the rust change the abrasive for something like 240 or finer grit. then mark the sole with a marker pen over most of the sole and clean that off on the abrasive covered sheet. If the sole is not flat that marker marks will soon show that up. You should now have a clean shiny sole. If the sole isn't flat when using the plane will be hard work and 'Chatter'; it should 'sing' when using.

Sharpen the 'Iron' (Cutter blade) on a good quality stone or diamond plate - if you can't hold the angle correctly treat yourself to a Honing Guide - it's well worth the money. Put the Iron onto the 'Cap Iron/Chip Breaker' carefully and tighten up - you only need about 1/16inch (<2mm) of blade edge showing. Put the cutter assembly back in the plane and fix in place with the cover iron.

Adjust the cutter so that you can just see a thin line of cutter, hair's width, when you sight down the sole from the front.

Last edited:
@ozzpoz That's an ideal start, you could look out for a second hand No5 as well, whilst I have quite a few planes, I predominately just use a 4 or a 5.

I pick up old planes fairly easily, and for free, given by people who have inherited them but have no use for themselves, put the word out to people you know and you could well be surprised at the number of them just sitting in sheds like yours was.

You'll never please all of the people all of the time with your choice of planes. I had a 3, 4, 4 1/2, 2 x 5 1/2, 6, 7, and 8 before I got a 5. I only keep the 4 because it's 4c rosewood, and I've sold on the others all except the one of the 5 1/2s (the first one I ever owned) the 4 1/2 and the 8.

It is in pretty good shape and just needs a clean and sharpen to start with. That rust will come off with a green kitchen pad and WD40. As the saying goes "if it aint broke then don't fix it". Chances are if your old man used it then the sole is likely flat enough so try it out before taking to it with heavy abrasive. I only flatten soles if I have to.
Regards
John

I’d get it back together, sharpen it and start using it. The sole will clean up through use- especially as I think in your other post you mentioned recycled timber use.

Lapping the sole flat is something you could do on a cold dark winters night - but for now I’d start using it. Biggest performance improvement you’ll get is from a sharp blade, then a well set cap iron so I’d focus on getting those right.

Good luck

Thanks for everyone's advise. I did a light clean up. I watch the vid Phil posted. Not quite to his standard but it'll do for my needs. It was already flat so didn't need much. I Doubt it was ever used. You could ride bare ass to London on it though so I've ordered a sharpening kit . I'll watch some vids on sharpening and set up for when it arrives and hopefully it'll work ok.

Attachments

• PXL_20240811_103213606.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240811_103213606.MP.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240811_103224785.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240811_103224785.MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Well she works great. I never knew old crusty pallet wood could look so clean.
I even managed to get it square.
I had a local guy sharpen it for my. £3 well spent. I cancelled my sharpening tools while I do a bit more research. I saw some sketchy reviews on the cheap ones off Amazon.

Attachments

• PXL_20240813_181551292.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240813_181551292.MP.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
I'll have a look through some sharpening threads. See if anyone mentions if the cheaper stones are of any use.

I generally keep out of sharpening debates but will stick my neck out here and suggest if you are just starting out I would get the coarse, medium and extra fine stones and the honing guide linked below. Certainly not the best but a capable set up for less than £50 which will let you get a feel for the whole sharpening thing.

https://its.co.uk/pd/210042-Vaunt-D...-Sided-200mm-x-75mm-Extra-Fine-_VNT210042.htm

https://its.co.uk/pd/210004-Vaunt-Honing-Guide-_VNT210004.htm

And maybe have a look on Amazon for some kind of strop if you feel the need.

And just in case you didn’t know, the whole planing a piece of wood thing is hugely easier and more pleasant after rubbing a candle over the sole a bit every now and again.
Ian

Thanks for sticking the neck out. It's appreciated 😁.
I've now ordered a sharpening stone and a strop ( again 😂 ) Figured it was worth a punt for £20. I'll definitely get a honing guide and have a look into your suggestions.
I'll link what I got if any one interested.
Thanks again.

KOTAI | Sharpening Set - 1000/6000 Grit | Whetstone | Water or Sharpening Stones | Anti-Slip Bamboo Base for Stability | Includes Corundum Stone Flattener | 15° Angle Guide | https://amzn.eu/d/2THuI6g

Thanks for sticking the neck out. It's appreciated 😁.
I've now ordered a sharpening stone and a strop ( again 😂 ) Figured it was worth a punt for £20. I'll definitely get a honing guide and have a look into your suggestions.
I'll link what I got if any one interested.
Thanks again.

KOTAI | Sharpening Set - 1000/6000 Grit | Whetstone | Water or Sharpening Stones | Anti-Slip Bamboo Base for Stability | Includes Corundum Stone Flattener | 15° Angle Guide | https://amzn.eu/d/2THuI6g
I have one of the above honing guides you can have for free. Probably a couple of quid postage to pay though. Message me if interested. If not, does anyone else want it?

I have one of the above honing guides you can have for free. Probably a couple of quid postage to pay though. Message me if interested. If not, does anyone else want it?
That would be very much appreciated, thank you. . If you let me know what it costs and where to send payment I'll send it over.
Thanks again. 😁👍

Latest posts

Back