Old forstners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever come across a set of forstners like these. The only 2 with markings are ridgeway and moninger. They are older very well made and used not abused. Every one seems to have been the victim of a slightly weak chuck!
Any idea of dating or moninger? I'm feeling these may have been imported by ridgeway at some time but its just a guess. There are 2 styles of bit one with a tight throat and one looser.

Attachments

• 20240826_093139.jpg
    20240826_093139.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240826_093151.jpg
    20240826_093151.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Some postings, if they don't get a few responses straight away just seem to disappear into the ether. I'm surprised that I hadn't notice this until now.

You show a very comprehensive set. In comparison I have a couple of good older bits , in addition to a couple of cheap sets. And the older ones have certainly stood the test of time. But it has always puzzled me as to how the outer edges are sharpened, especially the smaller sizes.

Wow that's a spectacularly poor response!
Consider you asked "Has anybody ever come across a set of forstners like these.". It is pretty much a given that if we haven't then we wouldn't write "No." because that would make for a long thread with nothing to learn from. If we had then we probably would have responded. To get a little bent because there were no answers in 21 hours is a little off on your part.

Pete

Honestly if no one knows anything about moninger or ridgeway or a boxed set like this it's fine. It just shows many things are not and never will be on the Internet.

Honestly if no one knows anything about moninger or ridgeway or a boxed set like this it's fine. It just shows many things are not and never will be on the Internet.
You do realise I'm now regretting not buying that overpriced Moninger catalogue at the steam rally a few weeks back.... Doh!
Lovely set.
Cheers, Andy

Oddly I found a reference to moninger in the old edition of the spindle moulder handbook. They made a block with both softwood and hardwood cutting angles shrewdly called "the diangle"

Latest posts

Back