Obsession looks like...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
20240809_224120.jpg

I see a cbn wheel on a grinder with a oneway wolverine jig so he presumably turns.
His user planes are records, nice but not extravagant, and his T square isn't red.
Move along please, nothing (obsessive) to see :)

I'm glad you didn't take the advice of the 'don't use a honing guide brigade '. Have you noticed how quick 're sharpening is using one? I use an 1200 grit Odate plate for forming a minute curve on a plane blade prior to th a 8000 grit waterstone for the micro bevel.

Nope, you'd need a lot more than that for it to be an obsession, I also think the name plaque is a bit OTT though. Having said that I bought a marking gauge for a mate a few weeks ago, in an antique shop and it was marked down in the book as a hammer. :LOL: I guess there are people who wouldn't know what a plane looks like.

The name plaque reminds me of a photo I took in Death Valley a while back, struck me as amusing at the time....View attachment 185813
:LOL: Brings back memories. I also found that amusing when we were there. Did you go on to the Devil's Golf Course, and the old mining town? My wife refused to leave the car with air con on full blast as it was so hot.

:LOL: Brings back memories. I also found that amusing when we were there. Did you go on to the Devil's Golf Course, and the old mining town? My wife refused to leave the car with air con on full blast as it was so hot.
Yes I did, I spent a week there, albeit commuting from Ridgecrest each day.
The day I went to the Ubehebe crater was the hottest and also the windiest, even the 4x4 I'd hired was rocking in the car park and the heat so intense it was akin to sticking your head in the oven along with the Sunday roast!
The Racetrack was spooky and more than a little surreal albeit the movements of the rocks are now proven to be from ice expansion!

Alreet.
More block planes ✔️
Less engraved plaques ✔️

But thanks honestly. Now wifey reassured I'm not obsessed. "carry on" she says.

:p

Your good lady would have more to worry about if you spent the dollar on drink or baccy.
Plane collecting must surely come low down on the list of vices !

A six stone sharpening set is on the edge of obsession. Some of us have a few more though 🙄
I admit to owning quite a lot of them. Mostly duplicates and/or ventures into the unknown.
I only need two though, and a strop for fine finishing occasionally.
Still got my first - a 6x2" coarse/medium oil stone from Woolworths about 1962, probably 2/6 i.e. "half a crown" (about 12.5p new money). They last forever. Might have been five bob (25p).
Still got a few jigs too but haven't used them in years. Actually one thing they can be useful for is diagnosis with a rusty old blade. One or two passes at 30º and it shows up what needs doing.
I sold my 3 Ezelap diamond plates - an expensive waste of space IMHO. They cost more than the rest of my entire sharpening kit so far in this life!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back