Oak doors laminate cracking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cole

Reaction score
Hi , my brother has some oak external doors, he was told they were solid oak when fitted but later on found that they are oak laminated. The laminate has started to form some very fine cracks as the years have gone on. He has tried sanding them down and giving them a coat of varnish but can still see the cracks. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to repair them?

if they are anywhere near the shape and sizes of standard doors- replace the door with Sapele or if wish for yellow- Meranti ones.... ore even better (forgive me father) Composite or PVC ones (some, do come in wood like colours)
Laminated external doors?- just a cowboy trick, nothing you do will save them in a longer run, whilst as you say sanding them, "diamond" coating them will prolong their service, but... it would be "bit of a waste of time and effort" regardless.
Hope "h0wDeNz" is blushing at least for the con they used to sell. They might even still do...

Yes I thought as much. Funny enough we own a company that fits composite and UPVC doors but he wanted real wooden doors.

Are you sure they are laminated. Even solid oak exposed to the elements will tend to develop fissures and cracks.

Even finishing oak doors when installed is often judged optional as any varnish will typically need to be reapplied regularly. Unfinished imperfect weathered surface is often perceived as being attractive without the maintenance obligation.

I suppose the first question is where is it cracking? If it’s the panels then they will be laminated up. A picture would be a great help to understand the issue.

I myself will if it’s for me take the time to cut the styles and rails in half, turn them back to back and glue them back together. The join is in the edges if the door not the face sides. A lot of effort to reduce / virtually eliminate the chance of them moving. For me, that’s a high end door.

Is there a veneer over the laminations or are the laminations the actual face of the door?
As said a photo is always helpful but to be honest probably not much that can be done apart from recoating with plenty of whatever has been used.

This care guide from UK Oak Doors always makes me smile, it contains pearls of wisdom like "Your external door must be kept dry at all times", and of course they cannot be held accountable if you don't follow the guidelines.....

https://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/external-door-protection

I wonder if its what they call engineered, I have a neighbour who bought an "Oak" stable door for £400.00 (fitted by others) lots of bits of wood all glued up to make up the section sizes, which are all de-laminating.

She calls me quite regularly, to go and ease it in, because it wont open, she's saving up for a real wood one now.

I'm of the opinion any exterior item is best made of a single chunk. This is from long and bitter experience. It may help the suppliers to productionise things but when the weather hits the 2/or more laminates can decide to move in opposite directions!(which is kinda the intention) with devastating results.

Latest posts

Back