Oak Block Windfall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajsimmo

Established Member
Reaction score
I never look a gift horse in the mouth, so I said "yes please" to all these Oak beam offcuts.

IMG_20240705_155943.jpg

IMG_20240705_155840.jpg

I didn't really know what I was going to do with them, but then had an idea to make those big heavy door stops, brand them with a map of Alderney (where I live) and sell them for £15ish each.

They obviously need cleaning up & finishing to be like this one.
IMG_20240705_160126.jpg

However, they all have some splits in them.

What's the best way to stabilise them before I have angry customers complaining about my shoddy workmanship?

Thanks for any advice.

Great idea. Leave the splits in place and explain it is part of the drying process and adds character. I might suggest a brass handle rather than steel which will eventually discolour from the tannins in the oak.

Great idea. Leave the splits in place and explain it is part of the drying process and adds character. I might suggest a brass handle rather than steel which will eventually discolour from the tannins in the oak.
Cheers Recipio.

However, they all have some splits in them.
What's the best way to stabilise them before I have angry customers complaining about my shoddy workmanship?
Thanks for any advice.
You might look at PEG (polyethylene glycol) and pentacryl, both of which are wood stabilisers. I'm not sure how well either will work on big lumps of oak which are renowned for developing shakes as they dry, as demonstrated in your opening post. Slainte.

You might look at PEG (polyethylene glycol) and pentacryl, both of which are wood stabilisers. I'm not sure how well either will work on big lumps of oak which are renowned for developing shakes as they dry, as demonstrated in your opening post. Slainte.
Thanks Sgian

I think leaving the splits in place and explaining that it's a natural process but otherwise maybe use epoxy to fill the splits instead (wouldn't be my choice) or use bowtie inlays which would probably look nice and add some value into the bargain

I think leaving the splits in place and explaining that it's a natural process but otherwise maybe use epoxy to fill the splits instead (wouldn't be my choice) or use bowtie inlays which would probably look nice and add some value into the bargain
Cheers Seb, dovetails is something I've been meaning to try, so maybe now is the time.

You could do some butterfly keys if there are really huge splits, for smaller ones something like hot melt knot filler can be good (and dead quick), black for sublte or colours for fun. However, I would only use this if its properly dry.
Otherwise its part of the style to have the splits.

Never heard of hot melt knot filler, I'll definitely look into that. Cheers Ollie.

Oh thats easily covered by the 'character' label.

I was visiting the friend of a friend for some party, and this friend of friend heard i was a furniture maker and couldn't help showing off his newly installed oak mantle, which was actually just a length of a sleeper sized oak slab.
He seemed really chuffed by the splits in it. It was an older cottage type place and the splits, knots etc he thought added o the character of the place.
It cost him £1200, including fitting.

As the congenial guest, i said nothing, but congratulated him on how well it fitted in.

Oh thats easily covered by the 'character' label.

I was visiting the friend of a friend for some party, and this friend of friend heard i was a furniture maker and couldn't help showing off his newly installed oak mantle, which was actually just a length of a sleeper sized oak slab.
He seemed really chuffed by the splits in it. It was an older cottage type place and the splits, knots etc he thought added o the character of the place.
It cost him £1200, including fitting.

As the congenial guest, i said nothing, but congratulated him on how well it fitted in.
Brilliant, I bet you tried not to laugh? 😂😂

Back