New Member (& Supporter) in Wales (& the Midlands)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanT999

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning all,

Rare to find a good old fashioned internet forum, so much better than the likes of fb, Instawhatsit, etc. I found you all via Peter Millard on the Tube of You and I found him as I was researching track/plunge saws and MFTs. I don't have a huge amount of space at home, so always looking for multifunctionality if possible.

So a bit about me... I'm an NHS worker in the West Midlands but live in south Wales. I stay in a slowly-being-converted minibus/campervan when I am working and I'm going to have a good go at making some of the furniture for it myself. I have downloaded some plans for some kit, a couple of units that will go together from Roadrack.de and a download from a YT channel (Josh Oakes). Plus after a video from dantheman 321 also on YT, I think I've been overthinking the whole process and think I can modify the designs to my own needs and save myself a bunch of money in the meantime.

I'm a bit of a stickler for getting it right. I have a background in engineering and like to tinker and fix stuff if I can. BUT.....for the life of me, I . . . JUST . . . CANNOT . . . cut a straight line in a piece of wood by hand, it's infuriating!!! Anyways, I like hand tools, buy Ryobi cordless mainly for power, got some Titan kit for gardening and the rest of my stuff is MTB/road bike related, motorcycle & electrical related kit. I'm after a router (I think - there's a Bosch for sale in the classifieds) and always looking out for[hopefully] useful additions.

Thanks for the add.
SeanT

Welcome to ukw , re cutting straight it’s down to practice and more practice. Have you tried a Japanese pull saw as these only cut on the pull stroke and can be a lot easier to control. The other issue could be down to the material you’re trying to cut straight moving while you’re cutting.

Welcome to ukw , re cutting straight it’s down to practice and more practice. Have you tried a Japanese pull saw as these only cut on the pull stroke and can be a lot easier to control. The other issue could be down to the material you’re trying to cut straight moving while you’re cutting.
Good advice on the practice practice. Don’t listen to him on the Japanese saws, unnatural foreign things 😜

The real problem is usually down to too much, on new , or uneven, on old, set of the saw teeth. Because most people don’t sharpen Japanese saws they don’t see the issue. There is a pleasure to be found in sharpening an old saw and it is not difficult to do. A modern hard point will cut very well but do tend to come with a very generous set as they tend to get used for cutting up 2x rather than cabinetry materials.

Looking forward to some pics of your small home conversion

Good advice on the practice practice. Don’t listen to him on the Japanese saws, unnatural foreign things 😜

The real problem is usually down to too much, on new , or uneven, on old, set of the saw teeth. Because most people don’t sharpen Japanese saws they don’t see the issue. There is a pleasure to be found in sharpening an old saw and it is not difficult to do. A modern hard point will cut very well but do tend to come with a very generous set as they tend to get used for cutting up 2x rather than cabinetry materials.

Looking forward to some pics of your small home conversion
I’ve used both over the years and like both ,the one advantage with a pull saw is the thinner kerf . But each to their own 🤗🤗you tend to not put additional pressure on a pull stroke as you can do with a western saw . But agree with as much practice as possible and relax , let the saw do the work for you ..

I was the same......could never cut square/straight however meticulously I tried..... until I obtained a Japanese saw. First attempt a bit awkward getting used to cutting on the pull. Second attempt (marking the timber with a pencil) and bingo.....straight and as near square as possible. Since then results have improved, especially mitre cuts which actually now go together as they should. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a genuine Japanese saw. (Not sure about Japanese style saws though)

Latest posts

Back