New Member Intro

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoviceN7

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member living in London currently. I don't have a lot of woodworking experience, but spent summers a lot of years ago around joinery and related equipment, but I recently bought a house with external shutters which have seen better days and I decided that I am going to try to make some new ones. The existing ones have raised panel on the lower half and louvres above the centre rail. I have bought a combination machine, a 80's era Zinken Compact 21 to help me machine the components. It's pretty complete and been overhauled with new bearings, but missing a couple of safety items, like a thicknesser guard and a part of the fence for the spindle moulder. Seems that the manufacturer failed more than 20 years ago, so not sure I'll find any spares off the shelf. If anyone knows where I might find even generic replacements, I'd be happy to hear from you. The plan is that I will learn to use this machine over the winter months and will hopefully have the satisfaction of installing replacement shutters next spring.

Welcome! We're glad to have you join us!

Hi and welcome- we’ll talk about throwing yourself into the deep end 😂 limited experience and a combination machine to get to grips with and then what sounds like quite a complicated project . Well good luck ( sorry I can’t help with your parts but as they are safety related part’s please be careful ❗️ and don’t take any chances. Better to delay your project than to lose a finger or an eye ..

Hi, I'm a new member living in London currently. I don't have a lot of woodworking experience, but spent summers a lot of years ago around joinery and related equipment, but I recently bought a house with external shutters which have seen better days and I decided that I am going to try to make some new ones. The existing ones have raised panel on the lower half and louvres above the centre rail. I have bought a combination machine, a 80's era Zinken Compact 21 to help me machine the components. It's pretty complete and been overhauled with new bearings, but missing a couple of safety items, like a thicknesser guard and a part of the fence for the spindle moulder. Seems that the manufacturer failed more than 20 years ago, so not sure I'll find any spares off the shelf. If anyone knows where I might find even generic replacements, I'd be happy to hear from you. The plan is that I will learn to use this machine over the winter months and will hopefully have the satisfaction of installing replacement shutters next spring.
Welcome. If you don’t have it the manual is available here https://discovertroy.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/zinken-compact-21b.pdf

Latest posts

Back