New, incompetent, advice-needy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Eley

Reaction score
Hi, I am a (very) amateur woodworker, and I anticipate that most of my posts will be pleas for help! My current project, for example, is to fit bull nose oak skirting around the inside of an octagonal conservatory, and calculating the mitre angles!

Tom, is scribing where you hold the profile against one of the pieces at an internal angle and jigsaw the waste off? I can see how to do that at 90 degrees, but not 62.5

Invest in a miter protractor. The aluminum ones like Starrett are pricey but better than the plastic. You can then read the exact cutting angle for the saw on each corner.

I would usually recommend scribing internal mitres for skirting, but given its Oak, a Bullnose and at 135 degrees getting a clean finish could be very tricky.

If your using a mitre saw you can do test cuts on scrap to make sure the saw is set up correctly, being plumb might be the most challenging part if the plasterers haven't been really careful and clean.

Cheers

Peter

I would usually recommend scribing internal mitres for skirting, but given its Oak, a Bullnose and at 135 degrees getting a clean finish could be very tricky.

If your using a mitre saw you can do test cuts on scrap to make sure the saw is set up correctly, being plumb might be the most challenging part if the plasterers haven't been really careful and clean.

Cheers

Peter
Ah serves me right for not reading the details fully - you’re quite right, best approach is going to be mitred

Hi, I am a (very) amateur woodworker, and I anticipate that most of my posts will be pleas for help! My current project, for example, is to fit bull nose oak skirting around the inside of an octagonal conservatory, and calculating the mitre angles!
Quick way. Get 2 scrap pies od wood anything really. Keep bevelling then at different angles untill you get a neat tight joint. Then take note of bevel angles on mitte saw if your using one any you should be good. By the way every wall angle can be different so check each time.

The conservatory may be octagonal to look at, but I would check the angle of each corner before you make any cuts…
Get two plain pieces of card 6”x4” (imperial 😱) put one flat on the floor along one side up to a corner…place the other on top of it along the adjacent side into the same corner…join the two pieces with strips of cello tape
You’ve now got a template for the angle….which you can use to check if they are all the same..
If they’re not all the same you can use that method for each corner and half it..
Good luck…

Back