My corded Black and Decker circular saw needs replacing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old B+D 7.25 inch circular saw model 7308-07 type 1150 watts 5300 rpm must be 30 plus years old its had a quiet life the blue finish is like new and is not used very often but comes in handy every now and then, its quite sturdy and not lightweight the blade replaced a while ago and now has a good tungsten tipped blade. Using it today the motor was a bit stuttery and maybe low on power. The front bearing has some play as well - never checked for play previously. Possibly needs new brushes but they seem to be £15 or so - maybe I should get a new saw.
Looking around for a corded replacement - I was in Wickes didn't like their offering anyone bought a cheapish - region of £80 machine recently that they would recommend. If it came with a good blade thats a bonus but I could always swap my current blade over if necessary. As you can see this is for random thick diy timber or thick ply cutting.
thanks

If it were me, I would be looking for a second hand Makita or Hitachi (before they changed to Hikoki). Parts will be available for both machines should they be required.

Have a look at Screwfix. They have some refurbished Evolution ones for about £50. There is a Skil DIY brand and a red DIY Makita brand new for £90.

Thanks - the Evolution ones seem a bit different with their multi purpose blade - I will ponder on those as well as the other you mention

Howe Tools seem to have the Makita one slightly cheaper, and they offer a Black and Decker even cheaper.

You might know this already but your 7 1/4" is sometimes listed as 185mm and sometimes as 190mm, so cover all bases in your search.

If this page is correct concerning availability (it says 'in stock' but not available for collection from their stores, hence my doubt), it could be a good buy as it is blue Makita:

https://www.siis.co.uk/shop/details/makita-5704rk-circular-saw-190mm-390

Its headline price, which includes delivery, might help with bargaining with eBay sellers who are selling second hand versions of the same at too high prices.

Makita Bosch or dewalt all do decent corded saws personally I’d be looking at the depth of cut and the motor output power . These small saws are ideal for trimming doors and reducing boards and other sheet goods with ghe aid of a straight edge..

Thanks - the Evolution ones seem a bit different with their multi purpose blade - I will ponder on those as well as the other you mention
Personally I’ve found multi material blades don’t give a fine and clean cut on some material. This may not be an issue depending on what your making but worth considering.

Howe Tools seem to have the Makita one slightly cheaper, and they offer a Black and Decker even cheaper.

You might know this already but your 7 1/4" is sometimes listed as 185mm and sometimes as 190mm, so cover all bases in your search.

If this page is correct concerning availability (it says 'in stock' but not available for collection from their stores, hence my doubt), it could be a good buy as it is blue Makita:

https://www.siis.co.uk/shop/details/makita-5704rk-circular-saw-190mm-390

Its headline price, which includes delivery, might help with bargaining with eBay sellers who are selling second hand versions of the same at too high prices.
Thanks for the contact - I followed your link and phoned their Head Office they had at least one in their Edinburgh store so purchased at the advertised price which included postage and carry case looks a good deal to me so thanks again. Really cant go wrong with a good brand name rather than a nonnymouse brand.

edit at 20.35
Just looked at their website the price has now gone to £95, in a way not surprised as the lady who took my order said the website had not been revised for a while - instead of 0 available it now shows 2 available but at £95!
I suspect after my purchase they looked around and put their price up. It includes a plastic case! wonder if it comes with a normal plastic tool box or one of the Huge Makita boxes, hope its the former.

Last edited:
I was looking at this one which seems to be the best from what I can see. It has a large blade so you can use it by hand or in a table jig if required.

https://www.toolstation.com/makita-1200w-190mm-circular-saw/p53194
Yes interesting, I ended up with a Makita 5704RK which at a glance looks the same as the toolstation Makita, very pleased with mine worth looking - at. here's a retailer

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-5704rk-7-190mm-circular-saw-240v-with-heavy-duty-carry-case-p1521/

Let me know how you go

Back