Monkey Puzzle tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Sherwood

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, however I hope its the right place to ask the question about Monkey Puzzle trees for turning or wood working in general. I have a 8-10m tall Monkey Puzzle tree that I am about to cut down and have heard its a good wood for turning and furniture making. Does anyone have any experience in using Monkey Puzzle wood, how long does it need to dry and what are the pitfalls or advantages. Is it worth keeping or is it better off as firewood? Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
Best Regards
John

What diameter is it? That matters a lot more than the height. Certainly you can make some very beautiful turned items, especially end grain bowls.

All timber takes a long time to dry. The exact time and method for drying depends on what you are making (planks v bowls).

If you have come across the destructive lethal barbs of a fully grown Dog Rose, then Araucaria araucana is twice as nasty. To be fair the small piece I was offered had limitations as to what I could use it for, and its protective shield could have been removed with a small axe/machete. My advice would be to wear stout gloves, preferably leather welding gauntlets.

Most turners use a whole log section with knots in because the knots add character so when you cut the tree up, cut between the knots. The rest of the wood is quite soft and the knots are much harder so it isn't an easy wood to turn.

Also, freshly cut a smelly sticky sap oozes out from under the bark and it's very difficult to get off clothes etc. so take care!

The wood doesn't usually split and you can turn it green if you prefer but it will be quite soft at that stage.
One last one - the pith always falls out so if you do turn a full circle with pith in, you will have to plug the hole with another piece of wood.

If you don't' want to turn it, you could sell the knot sections to other turners, they fetch good money.

It's a beautiful wood to turn, the heart will need hardening with CA or drilling out and replacing with a small plug. Definitely look best as an endgrain turning.
20230822_100259.jpg20230822_100252.jpg20230822_100232.jpg20230822_100236.jpg20230822_100242.jpg

Back