Mitre Saw Station - Site Work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive done a few searches for this but all the hits seem to be for workshop versions.
What I want to do is for site work

I have a dewalt aluminium mitre stand, which is pretty good, but missing some critical features.
I want something that I can put together pretty quick on site (say 1 hour assembly is fine) at the start of the job that does the following:

• 5m cuts max
  • stop block with tape
  • flip on stop block ideally

I can leave it on site for 10 or 20 days while I build and then disassemble.
I have an idea in my head how it can work, but didn't want to re-invent the already existing wheel. anybody done this or seen it done and have links?

As you can see below I normally create a 5m long table at the start anyway so adding the mitre saw functionality shouldn't be a big deal and the effort will pay for itself in efficiency
PXL_20240717_071754612.jpg

thanks
Martin

I like to keep it spotless, tidy up every day before leaving 🙂
I think that’s why it stood out , that’s pretty much how I like to work . I think it looks so professional it speaks volumes about your work ethic. My local timber yard ( long since closed) had a mitre saw on a long bench similar to yours . Behind it they had an upstand that ran along the entire bench. They had red line marked vertical to mark the centre of the blade . Then every 12 inches it was marked 1, 2 , 3 etc which was a for when customers like me didn’t want the standard lengths . He would simply push the timber to the 9ft mark and cut . Something like this might help and could be adapted to use a stop by using a block screwed to the upstand/ auxiliary fence at a set point.

I have a couple of shop made solutions I keep in the store for taking out on site, both based on plywood wings about 8" wide, that attach to the saw on either side, I based one of mine on the Ron Paulk mitre station design with the saw built into a "Torsion box"!!! table (basically sitting in the middle of an 8' plywood box), and then 8' ply wings connected on either side of that to give about 11' of support either side of the blade, and simple leg supports to stop them dropping/drooping.

Piccy from plans

paulk.png

My other option is using a Dewalt leg stand, but again with 6" plywood out wings (directly bolted to my saw) which are supported by the extending arms on the stand, I use that option for "house" work as they are shorter.

They both work well, and have an upstand for a length stop block to clamp to, but I don't use/have a tape measure guide.

Ill try and get some pictures next week, PM me if you want any details.

I have a couple of shop made solutions I keep in the store for taking out on site, both based on plywood wings about 8" wide, that attach to the saw on either side, I based one of mine on the Ron Paulk mitre station design with the saw built into a "Torsion box"!!! table (basically sitting in the middle of an 8' plywood box), and then 8' ply wings connected on either side of that to give about 11' of support either side of the blade, and simple leg supports to stop them dropping/drooping.

Piccy from plans

View attachment 185127

My other option is using a Dewalt leg stand, but again with 6" plywood out wings (directly bolted to my saw) which are supported by the extending arms on the stand, I use that option for "house" work as they are shorter.

They both work well, and have an upstand for a length stop block to clamp to, but I don't use/have a tape measure guide.

What is the purpose of the E shapes on the legs pls, and aren’t the outer ends a bit rickety on a single leg?

Piccy from plans

View attachment 185127

That's very cool Hoj 👍 you have it all worked out don't you 😅

I guess for stacking lengths of timber on?
Probably.
Optimum position for timber when doing lots of repeat cuts on long lengths is exactly where those supports are. Sometimes I stack wood on the floor there, its in the way a little bit but it's so fast to load the saw from there.

What is the purpose of the E shapes on the legs pls, and aren’t the outer ends a bit rickety on a single leg?
As @Doug71 say's, I didn't make the legs as in the drawing, mine just sits on some trestles.

That's very cool Hoj 👍 you have it all worked out don't you 😅
Like you I need efficiency in my work.

Oldish pictures of one my setups for making the frames for a garden room, in my cart shed at the back of the shop, I prefer to build my frames offsite, saw station on the left and frame nailing station on the right:

saw table1.jpg

Straight on to trailer:

t frame.jpg

Stood up on site:

shed1.jpg

Then on the other hand, built this house a few years ago, (lost the piccys of it built) but same principal of offsite construction was used:

stick frame.jpg

An absolute mountain of timber went into it.

As @Doug71 say's, I didn't make the legs as in the drawing, mine just sits on some trestles.

Oldish pictures of one my setups for making the frames for a garden room, in my cart shed at the back of the shop, I prefer to build my frames offsite, saw station on the left and frame nailing station on the right:

View attachment 185158

Straight on to trailer:

View attachment 185159

Stood up on site:

View attachment 185160

Then on the other hand, built this house a few years ago, (lost the piccys of it built) but same principal of offsite construction was used:

View attachment 185161

Outstanding but - but you should of used a Forrest of timber ( sorry lol I couldn’t resist that one )

View attachment 185158

Straight on to trailer:

View attachment 185159

Stood up on site:

View attachment 185160

View attachment 185161

I like this way of working 🙂

Some good ideas in there
I've just watched it and was amazed at how many little tips, tricks etc I've subconsciously adopted over the years, I even have the same Senco brad nailer, must be 30+ years old!

Back