Makita 2012nb shelix upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboy1

Reaction score
Hi, first ever post. I have had a Makita 2012nb for a few years but decided to upgrade to a helical cutter head from Byrd tool. The main reasons for upgrading were better cut quality and reduced noise as I usually plane outside and sweep up, so try to consider the neighbours. Cut quality is far superior with no tearout, the issue I am having is the machine is running much louder. Before upgrading I ran a db reader and with the straight knives it was 82db just running the planer and 85 when planing wood, now it is 91db when running and 92db when sending wood through.

Any advice on what could be causing this issue.

Thanks

The helical cutter block should be quieter than a standard block or spiral cutter block simply because the knives shear one after the other, lots of smaller cuts so could it be something to do with balance, is there any possibility of some run out ?

Is the helical head heavier than the standard 2/3 bladed cutter head?

Thanks for your replies, it wasn't noticeably heavier but cannot be sure. Pete and spectric, what would be the best ways to test your theories?

Thanks for your replies, it wasn't noticeably heavier but cannot be sure. Pete and spectric, what would be the best ways to test your theories?
For the motor remove the belt and see what it feels like when you rotate it by hand. Then turn it on and listen to the motor. If no louder than a router you can probably eliminate it. Before putting the belt back on rotate the cutterhead by hand and see if you can feel any roughness or drag etc. It is possible the bearings got damaged putting in the new cutterhead. If you haven't already check the feed rollers to be sure they rotate easily.

Pete

Latest posts

Back