Mafell MT55CC KIT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumo2001

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at upgrading my plunge saw to one of these noticed the odd size blade can I use 165mm blades on it with a thicker kerf 2.2 please?not sure which section was best so posted in 2

Is this a corded version or cordless ? With cordless they do tend to use thinner kerf blades like the makita saw as it gives the battery an easier life.
They do a 162mm blade so any reason why you would want to use 165mm blades ?

Is this a corded version or cordless ? With cordless they do tend to use thinner kerf blades like the makita saw as it gives the battery an easier life.
They do a 162mm blade so any reason why you would want to use 165mm blades ?
It's the corded version I just heard that the thin blade could flex slightly giving a slightly tapered cut

It is Mafell so maybe you are worrying over nothing, if you use a thicker kerf blade it will cut the rubber strip more and so if you wanted to use the narrower kerf blade you would need a new strip.

I kept all my 2.2mm Festool blades when I upgraded to the Mafell. Kept my Festool tracks too. All work fine together. As @Spectric says, if you are fussy about that 0.2mm difference in where the rubber strip gets cut, you may need to swap the strip or keep a separate track for the different width blades.
Mafell's 1.8mm blades cause me no issues. Nor do Festool's 2.2mm blades which are reputedly made by Leitz and are excellent. The blue Bosch aluminium cutting blade is also very good.
The Mafell has a more powerful motor than the Festool so will happily spin any of them.

It is Mafell so maybe you are worrying over nothing
Depends on the operator.
If the OP has the same talents as I do, then Mafell won’t stop us.

Standard Mafell blade is not particularly thick to begin with (1.8mm).
I was trimming doors recently with the MT55 and the standard Mafell blade (full kerf), and the blade was all over the place, flexing wildly and nearly ruining the cut on a couple of occasions.

Of course, it was operator error and poor blade choice, but I wouldn’t dream of using a thin kerf blade with a power tool in my hands.

if you use a thicker kerf blade it will cut the rubber strip more and so if you wanted to use the narrower kerf blade you would need a new strip.
True, but it depends on the level of precision one is aiming for.

I have been using a 160mm with 2.2mm kerf blades from Axminster in my MT55 without any issues and didn’t bother with a new rubber strip, as the theoretical difference between the standard 1.8mm Mafell blade and the cheaper 2.2mm blades is just 0.2mm (relative to the strip). There may be variations depending on the blade body thickness, but the difference is hard to spot with the naked eye - at least in my non-scientific tests.

I like the mafell roll up guide rail. Best idea for one, as they're usually a complete pain in the bum trying to transport it without it being damaged. Having it roll up and fit in the case is a marvelous concept

Latest posts

Back