Liberon hard wax oil finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sllca

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have sanded down an oak table to 240 grit. Applied Liberon hardware oil, then light sanded 240 before second layer. My problem is table does not feel smooth. Is it OK to just lightly sand to finish?
Thanks in advance

I think I’d be inclined to lightly sand down again and then apply another coat. My guess is that the first coat hasn’t fully cured and the sanding has then gone through to bare wood causing the grain to be raised again by the second coat.

Some people use sanding sealer - I use it only in desperation. I find hot water good for preventing the grain being raised by the polish. Sand the work to a finished condition, then wet it with hot water or even steam. Allow it to dry then give it a wipe with very fine abrasive or steel wool (not steel wool on oak).
If it does no good it'll do no harm. It won't take long to dry and it's surprising how much grain it raises.

Yeah as above. lots of grain raising. wet, sand. then wet, sand, wet again sand and keep going till the grain no longer rises.
Its the same thing if you're going to use a water based stain. need to go through the above process or any sanding with cause the stain to become blotchy, as timber staining is absorbed at different rates across the surface.

Oak as well is an open grained timber, and filling the grain is going to leave a smooth feel.

Limed oak is also nice, and you can produce different effects by for example using a dark stain, then liming it* before applying the finish. The effect will be a white speckle and will look quite striking.

* Given lime is live, a wipe after with meths will effectively 'kill' it. Dont ask me to explain that, was given this instruction while at college.

Hi guys
I have sanded down an oak table to 240 grit. Applied Liberon hardware oil, then light sanded 240 before second layer. My problem is table does not feel smooth. Is it OK to just lightly sand to finish?
Thanks in advance
Hi, not used that product, but if it is similar to osmo and the finish just has some minor impurities in it, sand with 240 then put a little oil on some mutton cloth and rub on. Osmo results are silky smooth.

I used it for the first time a couple of months back. It was used on softwood, and didn’t raise the grain. If I’m teaching granny how to suck eggs, apologies. Without a grain filler, or layers upon layers of a hard finish such as shellac it will always have some texture.

Always strikes me that people use what seem, to me anyway, very coarse grades.
For finishing clock cases and similar I would wet sand with at the very least 400 grit wet and dry. If french polishing I would probably finish up with 800 grit. As Triton says, dampen, sand at least a couple of times.
For rubbing down between coats definitely something like 800 grit.

had problems sanding osmo hardware oil first cist when sanded above 129grit . It says on the bottle not to sand above 120 and if I did it wouldn't sand up correctly . hard to describe what it looked like but went white and cloudy for lack of a better word . came here looking if it was OK to use osmo hardware oil on veneered oak doors . if anybody knows . thanks

Latest posts

Back