Ledged and braced gate between properties.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I'm about to make a ledged and braced gate that provides access from our garden to the neighbours (we have some sort of right of access for maintenance). Is there some convention regarding which side the ledges and braces should be, akin to that regarding arris rails on fences?
The existing gate is a wrought iron thing, but we want something you can't see through.

The convention for fences as I understand it is that the posts etc are on the owners side with the good side to the neighbours. It would be neighbourly to do the same for the gate. Nothing to stop you putting boards to both sides if you want your side to look good.

The convention for fences as I understand it is that the posts etc are on the owners side with the good side to the neighbours. It would be neighbourly to do the same for the gate. Nothing to stop you putting boards to both sides if you want your side to look good.
Except I've already bought the timber...

It would be the gentlemanly thing to do.

I was caught out in a rights of way issue whilst doing some building work, in your part of the world. And the locals can get quite touchy, about things like that.:giggle:

It would be the gentlemanly thing to do.

I was caught out in a rights of way issue whilst doing some building work, in your part of the world. And the locals can get quite touchy, about things like that.:giggle:
This local won't even notice, but I just wondered about the convention/legality.
I guess I'll need to do a good job of the joinery, then!

So as a general rule of thumb, does the good face of a fence facing the neighbours side denote ownership? I know it's good etiquette, but often wondered as to whose responsible for the upkeep, repair etc

So as a general rule of thumb, does the good face of a fence facing the neighbours side denote ownership? I know it's good etiquette, but often wondered as to whose responsible for the upkeep, repair etc
It can be a guide, as most fences have the bad side facing the owners property, but legally it depends whose side of the boundary it is erected on.

As far as I know, investigated about ten years ago, there is no legal obligation on what side the good or bad looking side face's, ownership of a fence and position of boundaries are on OS maps

I wonder if there’s a practical issue re fences - you may not be able to get to the posts and joinery for maintenance if they are on the other side of the panels.

I wonder if there’s a practical issue re fences - you may not be able to get to the posts and joinery for maintenance if they are on the other side of the panels.
You have a good point; I think another important factor is/was that by putting the boards on the border line, and the posts on your side, you lose less of your garden than putting the edge of the post on the boundary and tha boards on your side. If you do the latter, the neighbour has access to your 'land'. See pic for a diagramattic version.

fence.png

In our area, it's common practice that the fence to the left as you look from your house up the back garden is your responsibility and you put good side towards neighbour
Don't think its any formal law, just a normal convention.

Logically, in a string of houses one of the fences might well abut a street. In which case it would be the responsibility of that end house. And, it could equally as well be to the right or left of the property And, it follows, that, one of the end houses will also be responsible for two fences.:unsure:

Last edited:
Over here we always approach neighbour about new fence construction , that is if they are willing to go haves over. Sometimes yes most no.
I always say to client if your paying for it then make sure none of the fence is on their property and make sure you are granted access to erect the fence.
Funny how as soon as the fence is up the neighbours which pushed back on the fence will always hang ladders, pipe work, pile wood against only for pile to rot the boards. Oh , their kids will bash balls against the fence.

One fence I did for privacy, about 30' long, I built 2' on the clients property. Why, long standing bitter fued between the two ladies. Both are my clients. So I said the only way I am building this for you is so that you can do maintenance on it with out going on her property. Both said they loved the fence and now didn't need to see each other when in their gardens

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back