Lathe choice at £1000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsh2

Reaction score
I'm currently learning to turn with a borrowed AW240WL which is temporarily in my garage, and pondering what to buy for myself as a long term investment. I had started to think that an AW355WL might be a sensible choice, but looking at Axminster's professional range I am starting to think that if I'm hoping to be using this lathe for the next 30 years I don't want to be replacing the motor too many times, and maybe there are some features which are going to be worth paying a little bit extra for. Looking for a benchtop machine (I think), but not short of space.

So far my 'must have' list looks like this:
  • M33 Spindle (will eventually be buying hardware in EU)
  • Induction, 750W or more, VFD
  • Multiple speed ratios
  • Reverse
New or nearly new - what should I be looking for or avoiding? What do people value or regret after upgrading to this price range? 333mm between centres seems a little bit limiting, but I'm not sure I really want to spend close to £2000 which is what Axminster are asking for their larger semi-pro model.

The forum helpfully provided this outgrown my lathe thread, which had escaped my earlier searches.

I'm not sure £1,000 will get you a new lathe that'll last you 30 years.
Take your time and watch ebay etc to learn 2nd hand pricing.
I've seen vicmark lathes come up which are fine lathes.
Simon Hope sells the KSD range of lathes made in Taiwan (?) and those look a nice lathe if you ever came across a used one. Double your budget new.

Back