Hi to everyone and new lathe question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbaker42

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll start by introducing myself being new.

Hi everyone

I'm Chris and started woodworking when I retired a few years back, I mainly make small furniture but rapidly running out of space so have decided to go back to my woodturning which I gave up some 30 years ago.

Now to the question, my old very small hobby lathe being at least 30 or 40 years old and wasn't very good when new now needs replacing. I usually do a lot of research before choosing a new purchase but I am struggling to even come up with a shortlist. Firstly I have limited space for the lathe, the bench it will sit on is 1900mm and that is wall to wall. I looked initially at the axminster AWVSL900/1000 as these seem to offer most of my requirements at the price I wish to pay. Downside is obviously the space as each of these would only just fit. I also considered the JET JWL-1220, Fox F46-251, Charnwood w821 and SIP 1936.

As I do not yet know what I will be making I don't want to limit myself too much by the size and power etc. of my lathe, nor do I wish to spend too much initially.

I will be interested in the views of other members with far more experience than myself.

Hello Chris and welcome :D
The Jet and Axminster lathes seem to get good reviews,Record so so. :!:
What sort of turning are you looking at doing :?:

In the past it was mainly goblets, bud vases and candlesticks. I would probably do much the same but want to try a few bowls and really anything that comes to mind from seeing other peoples work. Sorry to be vague but the only thing I don't want to do is pens.

Hi Chris and welcome (back to turning)

I am a proud Jet owner and love it.

For what it's worth my tuppence worth is to go for the biggest you have room for.

"You can do small things on a big lathe but can't do big things on a small lathe."

Hi Chris

I started with the Axminster AWVSL1000, cracking machine for the price, and as like you its just a hobby it did all i wanted of it.

However after 2 years i found my niche which is small box's and the occasional (small) bowl. So recently upgraded to the Jet 1220VS.... half the size, twice the price, so in theory its exponentially 4 times as good.... :? trouble is its still the same old duffer in charge of it.

I, like you, thought "why would i want to make a pen...."? all i can say is don't knock it till you've tried it. I currently make more pens than anything, in fact at times its hard to keep up with all the orders i get from work.

Good luck with which ever machine you plump for.......

Nick

The axminster AWVSL1000 would leave me about 10cm at either end, that was my original choice as it has the largest motor and a few other refinements. They are out of stock at the moment but at least it gives me time to make my mind up, I'll give them a ring.

Unfortunately no stock until April or May so I guess that's off the list.

Hello Chris

Welcome to the round side

If I were starting out and wanted a decent lathe I would but one of these

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod834297

* Electronic Inverter Variable Speed lathe
* 400mm(16") between centres 350mm(14") swing over bed
* Robust cast iron construction
* LED speed read-out
* Forward and reverse capability
* Versatile magnetic switch unit for optimum positioning
* 24 position spindle indexing

3/4 HP motor

Variable speed ( Electronic )
Distance Between Centres: 400mm
Nett Weight: 41kg
Overall L x W x H: 865 x 330 x 415mm
Speed: 0-800, 200-1,750, 400-3,600rpm
Spindle Taper: 2MT
Spindle Thread: M33 x 3.5mm (Ref T38)
Taper Tailstock: 2MT
Tool Rest Stem Diameter: 1"
Max Diameter over Bed: 350mm

Good specification and price

And FREE delivery

:mrgreen:

chrisbaker42":2muyxfz7 said:
Any thoughts on the Jet JML-1014 with an extension?

Its OK ish :?

I thought you were already a turner from days gone by

Maybe have a look on that internet auction site

Do you have a chuck ( What thread size ) ? and tools ?

Plenty of tools but no chuck, several bodged up face plates that were screwed to the end of blanks but the small hobby lathe was not of a standard size.

The auction site is watched all the time but nothing special at the moment.

You might consider this one, it was on a Buy it Now on ebay which has ended without selling but if you contact the seller they may still have it.

Great value for money and may be the only lathe you'll ever need.

ebay link

Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the ended item listing.

Thanks to everyone for their input and for the pm's.

Unless anyone has any particular reason why I should avoid it I think I will go for the Axminster AWVSL900 which although it doesn't have the power of the 1000 I think it will be ok for a beginner like me. I look forward to making enough progress to be able to put up pics of my work later in the year.

All the best Chris

Hi Chris,

That is an excellent lathe - it is the one I had when I got into turning and I really enjoyed using it. The other advantage is that you do not have to bolt the bed extention on to the left of the headstock if you don't intend using it which may help if you are really short of space.

One tip, the base if quite light in construction and a shelf is a must to give it rigidity. Rather than a plain shelf, I made a box for mine and mixed up some conctere and filled it up to give it some extra weight- it was really worth the effort imho although plain sand-bags would probably have been fine.

Enjoy your turning
Simon

I have had both the small and the large Fox lathes and they are both excellent value for money. I was a bit worried at first because they don't have the adjustments my metal lathes have had but as I got used to the different way of working I was very pleased.

its only £50 more and you get a sliding headstock and more powerful motor, you might aswell save for a little longer and get that.
them 2 lathes are good value for money but they are fairly light as lathes go so it might walk itself across the room if you try anything too big.

Back